Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data usage issues with iPhone 4s?

I just got an iPhone 4s yesterday and I've been monitoring my data usage to get an idea of how much is used for various uses. My Verizon account online says that I've used approximately 18 mb, and the free app "Data Monitor" also says something similar (16ish), but the built in data tracker in the 4S (General - Usage - Cellular Usage) says that I have received 1.9 GB and sent 660 MB... How is this possible, I've literally had this thing for 24 hours. The only thing that I used cellular data for was to occasionally check e-mail and stock quotes. Everything else I have done in my apartment over wi-fi. I upgraded to the newest software available which took a significant amount of time, but that was done in my living room and was definitely over wi-fi.

Anybody experienced this or have any suggestions as to what may have caused the usage tracker to say 1.9 GB was received, even though this does not match Verizon by a long shot?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 29, 2012 8:33 PM

1 reply

Aug 3, 2012 10:51 AM in response to esammons85

Last month I checked the data usage on my iPhone 4S three days after the start of a new billing cycle. To my shock I discovered that I had been charged with about 193 MB of usage. That was very odd because 193 MB is well above what my total data usage is each month. Immediately contacted AT&T Customer Service--twice. Each time they could not provide an explanation as to why the data usage was charged to my phone. All they could tell me was that all of the 193 MB were charged on the very day the new billing cycle started. They did try to sell me a larger data plan.

I thought maybe this was just an odd thing that couldn’t be explained. Kept a close eye on my data usage for the reminder of the billing cycle and didn’t have another large data charge. I still stayed well under the 300 MB plan limit even with the unexpected 193 MB of usage on day one.

Then my wife checks her iPhone 4S data usage on day one of this month's billing cycle at about 9 AM. She finds that she has been charged with 30 MB of data usage when she hasn't even used her phone. Again, 9 AM; day one of new billing cycle; 30 MB of usage; no active applications running. How can this be? She contacted AT&T Customer Service and once again they were no help. She made two phone calls and also spoke with one CS Manager, but no one could explain why she has been charged for the 30 MB. Anyone else having this problem? Please help us resolve this if you know what to do? Extremely frustrating to be charged for data we know we are not using. Getting no help from AT&T Customer No-Service.

Data usage issues with iPhone 4s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.