Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get my new ipad3 to take my password to get on wifi. It keeps saying Dismiss.

I need help! I've gone through the Setup process with Itunes since my new Ipad3 would not connect to my Wifi which is on and working. Now when I click on my Network, the keyboard comes up for me to type my password. The response is "unable to join the Network" and underneath that is a button saying Dismiss.

This is my second Ipad. The first one gave the same response to me and to the cable tech who set up the WiFi. He could get on the wifi without a password set up but when the password was added he got the same response. He changed routers in case that was a problem but it didn't solve anything. After 1 1/2 hours, he gave up and said he thought the Ipad was faulty. So today I took it back and exchanged it and I'm having the same problem.

Any suggestions from anyone would be really appreciated. Thanks, Jeanette

I have Ipad3 with wifi 16GB with no cellular program

Dell computer with Windows XP

Posted on May 31, 2012 4:46 PM

10 replies

May 31, 2012 5:08 PM in response to Jeanette527

Well, since the 2nd iPad is doing the exact same thing, it's pretty much a given you don't have a defective iPad. It has to be an issue with the router. What that issue is, would be pretty hard for us to diagnose as there are so many variables with router.

I'll take a stab. When you are prompted for the password for your router, can you type anything in the box? If you can, instead of a password, try putting in your routers Encryption Key Code. It's usually on a sticker on the router and is most often a 9 - 13 digit combination of letters and numbers.

May 31, 2012 5:28 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I can type in the password box.

I looked under the router and the Encryption Key is just a blank line. There is not Encryption Type box checked either. The only thing else with numbers are the bar codes with serial numbers, Mac number, and model number and FCC nbrs. The Charter Communications tech tried two different routers on the first one. A friend who was an IT support tech had a router that we used in the very beginning and she got the same responses on the first Ipad even before the Cable tech tried.

May 31, 2012 7:19 PM in response to Jeanette527

You need to access the router and change the wifi network name from the default which right now is the router name (linksys, netgear ect).

You want to use WPA2 encryption and you want a password that for now is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. (no , in there). Put the same on the guest network.

Don't setup the "N" network yet, just use the b,g,,n for now just to get it working.

Save those settings on the left pane on the router page on the bottom.

Go find the wireless with the name you put in, whatever you used.

Settings, wifi

Under choose a network the wifi you have just setup should be listed.

If its not there do this

Settings, cellular data.....is this an tion, is it on? Turn cellular data off if it's on. Then go back to settings, wifi and try that again.

May 31, 2012 8:11 PM in response to Dragon4486

Thanks you both for the information! I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a very nice support person from Charter. He made a lot of router changes. I'm not sure just what he did but I suspect it was much like Dragon4486 suggested. For a while we had the wifi on and my password accepted but no internet. So he made more changes and I'm in business. I wish I could tell you just what he did.

Thanks again,

Jeanette

I can't get my new ipad3 to take my password to get on wifi. It keeps saying Dismiss.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.