Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to create photo slideshow

Can someone please direct me to a link on how to create a photo slideshow in imovie? I am very sorry if this is a repeated topic. I'm new to mac and need help please.

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 2:55 PM

11 replies

Jun 1, 2012 3:01 PM in response to fish4bills

There are many ways to produce slide shows using iPhoto, iMovie or iDVD and some limit the number of photos you can use (iDVD has a 99 chapter (slide) limitation).

If what you want is what I want, namely to be able to use high resolution photos (even 300 dpi tiff files), to pan and zoom individual photos, use a variety of transitions, to add and edit music or commentary, place text exactly where you want it, and to end up with a DVD that looks good on both your Mac and a TV - in other words end up with and end result that does not look like an old fashioned slide show from a projector - you may be interested in how I do it. You don't have to do it my way, but the following may be food for thought!

Firstly you need proper software to assemble the photos, decide on the duration of each, the transitions you want to use, and how to pan and zoom individual photos where required, and add proper titles. For this I use Photo to Movie. You can read about what it can do on their website:

http://www.lqgraphics.com/software/phototomovie.php

(Other users here use the alternative FotoMagico: http://www.boinx.com/fotomagico/homevspro/ which you may prefer - I have no experience with it.)

Neither of these are freeware, but are worth the investment if you are going to do a lot of slide shows. Read about them in detail, then decide which one you feel is best suited to your needs.

Once you have timed and arranged and manipulated the photos to your liking in Photo to Movie, it exports the file to iMovie as a DV stream. You can add music in Photo to Movie, but I prefer doing this in iMovie where it is easier to edit. You can now further edit the slide show in iMovie just as you would a movie, including adding other video clips, then send it to iDVD 7, or Toast, for burning.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how professional the results can be!

To simply create a slide show in iDVD 7 onwards from images in iPhoto or stored in other places on your hard disk or a connected server, look here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1089

Jun 1, 2012 4:01 PM in response to Klaus1

Yes its a newer macbook pro and is running Lion. I just want to understand this so please bear with me. I will purchase photo to movie because I want to start creating slideshow photo dvd's for my children's activities. When I create my project with photo to movie, I then export to imovie to fine tune and add music. Then when I'm happy with the final result, how do I burn it to a dvd? Do I need to buy the program you mentioned above called "Toast" as I don't have idvd. Thanks again for your time.

Jun 1, 2012 4:13 PM in response to fish4bills

I disagree with Klaus1 on this. You do not need anything but iMovie. Of course, you would need DVD burning software if you want to make a DVD, but I would avoid DVDs if you are doing slideshows. You will have to reduce the resolution of your photos to about .3 megapixels if you make a DVD.

It is really easy to create slideshows in iMovie.

You can also create slideshows in iPhoto, but you will have less ability to choose music, add text, etc.

iMovie and iPhoto work well together. You can create an album in iPHoto that contains the photos that you want, and in the order you want. Then you can drag the whole album into iMovie all at once, and your photos are in the timeline in the right order. You have a lot of choices for manipulating your slideshow, which you can best discover by playing around. Also, it is really easy to sync up your slideshow to music in iMovie through the Beat Marker feature.

Here are some examples of slideshows created in iMovie.

Jun 1, 2012 4:34 PM in response to AppleMan1958

I really don't want to reduce the resolution of the photo's. My husband has gone to great lengths to take photo's of my kids softball/baseball games and wants me to create a dvd that we can give to the teams. He left this "technical" job up to me. I thought it would be a simple task on my mac, and I don't mind spending the money on a software program if I need to, but I don't want it to get too complicated. I just thought I could create a photo slideshow and burn it on my mac with one program. I see now that it would have been easier if I had idvd but I don't. I can try to purchase on ebay as Klaus1 suggested. Please excuse my ignorance as I am very new to all of this, but I really want to learn how. My husband has become quite the photographer so I feel it's my job to do something with the photo's. Not sure at this point which way to go.

Jul 21, 2016 1:13 AM in response to fish4bills

iMovie for Mac lets you organize some photos of your memorable photography, turn them into your favorite showcase, and then premiere them on iMovie Theater. That’s it. Let’s see how iMovie works.

Read this guide to know how iMovie to make a slideshow: http://www.jerrysguide.com/photo/imovie-slideshow.html

The guide also introduce another way to make a slideshow for you effortlessly.

how to create photo slideshow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.