Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Microphone is not working in Facetime (iPad2)

The microphone is not working when i use various applications on my iPad2, i am not sure if it happens when i upgrade the IOS to the latest version. Is there someone with the same issue as mine?

Pls. help. Facetime is useless without the microphone...

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 5:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 2:58 PM

Saw this on another post - iPad 2 mic not working.

I can confirm vacuuming the mic worked for me. I hadn't used the mic on the iPad 2 for quite a few months, then noticed when trying a VOIP telephone call, the other person could not hear me at all. Vacuuming the mic (tiny hole on the centre, top edge of the iPad) restored the mic to normal.

A tip, when vacuuming, get as much suction as you can by using the crevice tool attachhment on the vaccum and using your fingers to close off as much of the nozzzel opening as possible to maximize the suction. I noticed it took about 30 seconds of vaccumming before the mic worked again. 5-10 seconds wasn't enough. So if it doesn't work at first, keep vacuuming.

The mic is as good as new. Now, on a VOIP call, I can hear the wall clock ticking away at the other person's end. The iPad makes a great conference phone. That mic is super sensitive.

Thanks to all the other posters on this forum for the mic repair tips. It really has saved my iPad as it's out of warranty.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2012 2:58 PM in response to fmpalmos

Saw this on another post - iPad 2 mic not working.

I can confirm vacuuming the mic worked for me. I hadn't used the mic on the iPad 2 for quite a few months, then noticed when trying a VOIP telephone call, the other person could not hear me at all. Vacuuming the mic (tiny hole on the centre, top edge of the iPad) restored the mic to normal.

A tip, when vacuuming, get as much suction as you can by using the crevice tool attachhment on the vaccum and using your fingers to close off as much of the nozzzel opening as possible to maximize the suction. I noticed it took about 30 seconds of vaccumming before the mic worked again. 5-10 seconds wasn't enough. So if it doesn't work at first, keep vacuuming.

The mic is as good as new. Now, on a VOIP call, I can hear the wall clock ticking away at the other person's end. The iPad makes a great conference phone. That mic is super sensitive.

Thanks to all the other posters on this forum for the mic repair tips. It really has saved my iPad as it's out of warranty.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Dec 10, 2012 12:13 PM in response to fmpalmos

I have the same issue.. I noticed my Ipad2 few days ago when I tried calling my bf through facetime.. He cant hear me at all. But I could hear him completely.. I tried making videos.. No voice recorded theres only few noises that I could hear...

I tried turning it on and off.. And adjusting the volume.. Seemed nothin worked..

I havent tried vacuuming it.. I dont know which part i need to vacuum????

And what sort of vacuuming equipment should I use????

Please please help.. So desperate about this...

Thanks

Dec 10, 2012 12:18 PM in response to Ivanelu

I just used a standard domestic vacuum cleaner, with a 'crevice tool' nozzle. I held it over the microphone (on the top edge just around the edge from the camera above the screen) and moved it backwards and forwards a few times over the course of five or ten seconds.

It worked fine - for a while - but the problem returns from time to time.

Good luck,

Andrew

My Microphone is not working in Facetime (iPad2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.