Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexplained Powering Down

Hey.

I have a MacPro

Processor 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Early 2008

recently i started noticing a general slowdown on use of the mac. specifically in Finder actions, safari / mail etc.

for example, the mac would seem to turn unresponsive for periods of 3-15 seconds on something like opening up a new tab in safari or switching between applications.

more seriously though i have been experiencing random shutdown / power down where the machine will simply turn off instantly and then restart 10 seconds later. this has happened about 15 times in recent memory over the last month

I want to try and diagnose these problems and fix them. Hopefully someone has some pointers.

im running

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

I have already performed disc doctor on all the drives including the startup drive and no problems were reported.

I wanted to do an Apple Hardware test but no longer have the DVD with this software on it and don't know how else to do so.

perhaps i can get access to the Mac's system log files and read something usefull there?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Flux Capacitor

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 1:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 1:59 AM

Hi..

When a Mac shuts down unexpectedly, Apple suggests Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

As for the drive slowing down... check to see how much free space there is on the startup disk.

Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon on your Desktop. Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see Capacity and Available. Make sure there's a minimum of 15% free disk space.

Freeing Up Hard Disk Space - Mac GuidesFreeing Up Hard Disk Space - Mac Guides

If disk space is not a problem, Starting up in Safe Mode deletes system caches that may help. A Safe Mode boot takes longer then a normal boot so be patient. When you see the Desktop, click the Apple menu icon top left in your screen. From the drop menu click Restart.

If a Safe Mode boot didn't help, since you are running v10.7 Lion, use Lion Recovery to repair the startup disk if necessary, or reinstall the Mac OS X.

According to the Mac App Store, Disk Doctor is used to, "Free up tons of disk space by removing gigabytes of cached and unneeded files" ..

A word to the wise. Third party so called cleaning utilities on a Mac can cause far more harm than good. And this particular app does not repair the disk. That is what Lion Recovery is for.

edited by: cs

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2012 1:59 AM in response to sansserifgrafik

Hi..

When a Mac shuts down unexpectedly, Apple suggests Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

As for the drive slowing down... check to see how much free space there is on the startup disk.

Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon on your Desktop. Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see Capacity and Available. Make sure there's a minimum of 15% free disk space.

Freeing Up Hard Disk Space - Mac GuidesFreeing Up Hard Disk Space - Mac Guides

If disk space is not a problem, Starting up in Safe Mode deletes system caches that may help. A Safe Mode boot takes longer then a normal boot so be patient. When you see the Desktop, click the Apple menu icon top left in your screen. From the drop menu click Restart.

If a Safe Mode boot didn't help, since you are running v10.7 Lion, use Lion Recovery to repair the startup disk if necessary, or reinstall the Mac OS X.

According to the Mac App Store, Disk Doctor is used to, "Free up tons of disk space by removing gigabytes of cached and unneeded files" ..

A word to the wise. Third party so called cleaning utilities on a Mac can cause far more harm than good. And this particular app does not repair the disk. That is what Lion Recovery is for.

edited by: cs

Jun 14, 2012 3:19 AM in response to sansserifgrafik

OK So some more info here:

Started up in Safe mode.

Have repaired permissions

Have Booted from another disc and performed disc doctor on the startup disk, no problems detected.

I installed a virus checking app called ClamXav from the AppStore. this ran and detected several phisiing / trojan things in my email deleted files, mainly junk mail etc. I've deleted all of these

Still i get the odd slowdowns and today the mac restarted itself mid boot up..

after which when it booted it was running super slow. the hard disk making a lot of sound as though its doing a lot of read / write.

If i restart and zap the PRAM 3 times, the Mac boots and things are fine / fast. i would expect them..

any more clues or any suggestions on things i can diagnose?

I was a little worried when the virus app detected all the trojans / phishing emails but i suspect these may have simply just contained links to phishing sites which i of course never open and by their nature could not effect the running of the machine. Malware on the other hand would explain a slow down.. but i always assumed Macs were free from this probelm. Am i Wrong?

help is always appreciated.

thank you

Jun 14, 2012 2:43 PM in response to sansserifgrafik

sansserifgrafik wrote:

I installed a virus checking app called ClamXav from the AppStore. this ran and detected several phisiing / trojan things in my email deleted files, mainly junk mail etc. I've deleted all of these

I hope you used your e-mail client applications to delete those files and not ClamXav or the Finder. That will corrupt your mailbox index and may not remove those messages from your ISP's server.

was a little worried when the virus app detected all the trojans / phishing emails but i suspect these may have simply just contained links to phishing sites which i of course never open and by their nature could not effect the running of the machine. Malware on the other hand would explain a slow down.. but i always assumed Macs were free from this probelm. Am i Wrong?

Without knowing the infection name, I can't really say, but odds are very great the Trojans were Windows malware. As long as your OS X is up-to-date, you should have all the protection you need.

Jun 16, 2012 2:36 AM in response to sansserifgrafik

by Disk Doctor, i meant Disk Utility and 'Repair Disk' (nothing 3rd Party)

Yes i also doubted that the email stuff would have any effect. but better safe than sorry..

I did use ClamX to delete the files.. but so far no mail issues.. they were all in my deleted items anyway.. hopefully it all works without issue.

I had another unprovoked power down today. Is there a log file i can access that might shed some light on this?

I remember i had a G5 years ago and it did the same after the fan would go mental .. the log files clearly stated it was shutting down due to excessive temperature overload and i had both CPUs replaced under apple care.

i suspected heat on this issue but the Fan is not blowing excessively and there is no out of the ordinary heat happening here..

thanks again guys

Jun 16, 2012 2:54 AM in response to sansserifgrafik

sansserifgrafik wrote:

I did use ClamX to delete the files.. but so far no mail issues.. they were all in my deleted items anyway.. hopefully it all works without issue.

Then you need to rebuild your deleted items mailbox and that will take care of the damage. If they were from a gmail account, there's a chance they could show up again. Let me know if they do and I'll tell you how to permanently delete them.

I had another unprovoked power down today. Is there a log file i can access that might shed some light on this?

The system log will show you errors. The console log may give you more clues.

Sep 10, 2012 7:23 AM in response to sansserifgrafik

I had this exact problem which started a couple of weeks ago but is now solved - the problem was one of overheating. I managed to resolve the problem using two free software utilities.

I'd be working away and (around mid-afternoon usually) my Mac Pro would unexpectedly shut down. Actually, not shut down - just turn itself off as if there was a power-cut. Then it would restart itself and be OK for a while.

My first thought was that it might be related to the graphics card; it has eaten one before and the problem seemed to be worse when more than one monitor was attached. I called a local computer guy who has helped me with the Mac Pro before - and he suggested that it might be the power supply at fault. The problem here is that you could start throwing money at replacing parts, whilst not really knowing whether or not it's going to fix the issue.

The other thing he suggested that might be the problem is that it was overheating. This seemed to be a reasonable guess, as the studio is pretty warm and the power-downs seemed to occur later in the day, when the machine had been running for a while. I asked him to order a new graphics card anyway, but investigated the overheating issue while I was waiting for it to arrive.

The first thing I did was a search on Google for Mac Pro temperatures. The first utility I found was Hardware Monitor (shareware) - http://www.bresink.com/osx/HardwareMonitor.html

This shows the current temperature of every component that has a sensor in the computer. The hottest thing in my list was the Northbridge Heat Sink which was getting up to 88°C (190°F). A small amount of research made it clear that this was a bad thing... if the heat sink was this hot, how hot must the chip have been? The Northbridge Chip ships with a thermal paste applied. Over time, this can literally 'bake' off, resulting in hotter operating temperatures. If it gets too hot, the computer powers off.

This also explains why the internal fans weren't kicking in sooner - they're set at a default idling RPM which eventually just isn't enough to prevent the overheating.

Enter utilty 2 - Fan Control (freeware) - http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

Once installed, this utility is accessed via the System Preference pane.

I downloaded and installed this (while the Northbridge Heat Sink temperature was topping 88°C again) and the fans instantly kicked in - in a big way. They brought the sink temperature down to about 45 / 50°C. I set the minimum fan RPM to 1000 and the upper and lower thresholds to between 40°C and 70°C.

By this time I was down to one small monitor, and after a couple of days of no problems, I put my 30" cinema display and additional 19" monitor back on - and waited. That was 10 days ago and the problem has vanished - and as far as I'm concerned, solved. I hope this works for you.

Jan 2, 2014 11:28 AM in response to nmbbd

Thanks for the resources, nmbbd! My MacPro (2008) just been having some problems for awhile. The fan noise would get louder & louder like it was huffing & puffing. Unexpectedly, the computer would freeze & the display goes haywire. Then I would have to restart. Then the restart happens again eventually. It would interfere with my daily use. This definitely helped in a big way. You're awesome! 🙂

Unexplained Powering Down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.