Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone camera roll and photostream

I have noticed since icloud launhced that I don't have a lot of room on my iphone. I can take about 5-12 photos, or have to delete apps in order to have room.

I have a lot of photos in my camera roll that have been uploaded to my photostream, and would be fine with me if they were in the cloud or on my mac.

Can i delete from camera roll if they are in photo stream, or do I need to do something so the photos on my phone are in iphoto?

FYI- I have an iphone4 with 8G. trying to understand how to manage it all so I see what I want on my iphone, but manage the space I need on it.

Thanks 🙂

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1, icloud photostream and camera roll-

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:43 PM

12 replies

Jun 12, 2012 8:00 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Thanks so much for the quick response, Allan. I appreciate it. However, I am looking to find out if I need to connect my iphone and mac to save photos on my mac, or whether it automatically takes care of that for me by photostreaming from my iphone.

In other words, can I delete the photos from my camera roll or folders since it's on my photo stream? or will i remove it from the photo stream if I do that.?

Jun 12, 2012 8:07 PM in response to ngotthold

You're welcome.

Copied from my previous post.

This will not affect your Photo Stream, which is limited to 1,000 photos and 30 days.

Your Photo Stream is temporary. You can transfer or copy the photos from your Photo Stream in iPhoto to your iPhoto library stored locally on your Mac, but this won't change your iPhone's Camera Roll.

You can import the photos from your iPhone's Camera Roll followed by deleting the photos from the Camera Rolll after the import process is complete without having to touch your Photo Stream. After deleting the photos from the Camera Roll, this will not affect your Photo Stream as included with my previous post.

Aug 2, 2012 2:46 PM in response to Allan Sampson

I'm having the same problem as ngotthold -- Photo Stream clogs up my iPhone storage with duplicates to my Camera Roll, causing me to do more fooling around with my iPhone just to keep it running than I ever did before iCloud. I now have to frequently import to iPhoto, delete from Carmera Roll and reselect the ones I want to continue to view beyond 30 days in iTunes; whereas before, I could leave them in Camera Roll indefinitely and copy or transfer them to iPhoto when I have time, instead of immediately. Am I missing something here?? Anyone else see it this way, or am I the only complainer? To be constructive, what I think would be better is an INTERACTIVE photo stream rather than the automatic one. I'd like the choice to NOT upload each day. I will put this on Apple.com/feedback.

Aug 2, 2012 3:04 PM in response to 10thApple

You use PhotoStream for what?

PhotoStream is primarily for those with multiple iOS devices so a photo captured or saved on an iPhone will be available automatically on an iPad or iPod Touch or vice-versa without having to wait to import the photos from one device followed by transferring the photos to the other device via the iTunes sync process.

If you don't have more than one iOS device, turn PhotoStream off and continue to do as you did before.

Aug 11, 2012 12:20 PM in response to ngotthold

hi all, sorry to be a novice here, just bought an iPhone (LOVE IT!).

how do I transfer photos to my windows laptop without using photostream?

I have photostream 'On' but don't think I need it since I have no other iOS device (yet).

I don't find any phone-to-computer connector in the box the phone came in. is this an optional device I just need to go to the store to buy?

thanks,

Karen Fraser

Aug 11, 2012 12:46 PM in response to Robert1986nb

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html

1000 of your latest photos. With you all the time.

iCloud manages your Photo Stream efficiently so you don’t run out of storage space on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you have Photo Stream enabled on your iOS device, every single photo you take appears in a special Photo Stream album that holds your last 1000 photos.

Aug 11, 2012 9:18 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Allan,

Thanks for reply. I do know what Photo Stream is supposed to do, and I am learning the side effects -- which do not suit my needs. I'm trying to figure out the process of updating three iPhoto libraries and keeping my iOS devices from constantly filling up now that I have Photo Stream enabled.

I have multiple OS X devices -- workhorse MacBookPro 15" and underutilized MacMini running v10.6.8, and everyday MacBookAir 13" running v10.7.4 -- and I have multiple iOS devices -- iPhone 4s and iPad I running iOS 5.1.1, and 2 iPodTouch running iOS 3.1. I also have the hockey puck AppleTV and successfully use AirPlay from the Lion machine.

I take photos with both the iPhone and a Canon digital. Wife and I travel a fair amount and have a library of over 14,000 pics on iPhoto. We have many, many opportunities to show photos, new AND OLD on the mobile devices as well as both Macs.

I use the Mini infrequently and may sell it now that Lion now has AirPlay Video to AppleTV.

Our master iPhoto Library is on the Pro; the Air has most but not all the same photos, but now also has some not yet in the Master library due to Snow Leopard inoperability with iCloud/PhotoStream. I've moved the iOS iTunes sync files over to the Air, and hope to merge the three iPhoto Libaries, but I need to spend less time on my technology and more with my peeps, so that will have to wait. The Air unfortunately has a version of iPhoto that I don't like (Info panel so wide it obscures what I need to see).

Would you have any suggestions for simplification?

Aug 12, 2012 3:31 PM in response to ngotthold

Hi

Sorry if this message is in the wrong place!

I too am mixed up re photostream. I have an iphone 4s and an ipad. I love the fact that the photos taken on the phone automatically 'go to' my ipad. I have been sending the photos that I want to keep to my camera roll on the ipad. This means that I end up with the same photo in 4 places, camera roll on both devices and photostream on both. I back up camera roll to icloud on both. Once photostream has done its work i.e sent to the other device, can I delete these photos to save 'usage' if the ones I want are in camera roll.

Also, can I delete photos from one of the camera rolls, surely I only need them saved in one camera roll?

I hope this makes sense. Ive spent ages reading various queries on photostream and it seems to be confusing alot of people, I am one of them for sure!

Thanking anyone in advance

Liz

iphone camera roll and photostream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.