Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Stream and Camera Roll - Let me see if I have this straight. . . .?

1. I have an iPhone with iCloud set-up and enabled.
  2. I can take a photo with my phone - it automatically goes to Camera Roll and Photostream on my phone.
  3. I have iCloud set on my phone to back-up both Camera Roll and Photostream.
  4. Camera roll takes up too much storage space on iCloud.
  5. If I turn off Camera Roll to be backed up to iCloud, the Photostream pix will still go to iCloud.
  6. Since Photostream keeps 1000 photos for 30 days, as long as I have my Windows PC set-up to import Photostream pix those Photostream pix will stay on my PC until I delete them (not subject to the 1000 photos / 30 day limit once on the PC).
  7. The only reason to transfer photos on my phone from Photostream to Camera Roll would be if I wanted to keep on Phone on a permanent basis.
  8. Photostream takes up none of the free 5gb storage space on iCloud.

Why would you back up Camera Roll to iCloud given the space it would take? And when you do, where is it? I don't see an icon for it.

Basically, I'd like to be able to not back up Camera Roll to iCloud, if my Photostream is essentially passing through iCloud and being backed up permanently to my PC's hard drive. . . .

Thanks for any input!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 2:27 PM

15 replies

Jun 16, 2012 2:45 PM in response to Coachyod

Welcome to the Apple Community.

You are correct except for point 3, photostream isn't included as part of your backup. Additionally in regard to point 8, photos taken on your phone would already be in your camera roll, you would need to copy them from your photostream album.

You'd want to back up your camera roll, if they weren't backed up somewhere else (such as on your computer), obviously they are for you. You can see your backup and how much room it uses at settings > iCloud > storage & backup > manage.

If you don't wish to back up camera roll, turn off backup for camera roll from settings > iCloud > storage & backup > manage.

Aug 27, 2012 9:57 AM in response to Winston Churchill

So, if I turn off iCloud backup to my Camera Roll, my Photo Stream photos will not be affected?

Incidentally, I see no point of consuming space of my 5GB on iCloud if Photo Stream will keep my photos saved. or am I not right?

Also, I'm not sure I understood Coachyod fine in the point that Photo Stream saves up to a limit of 1000 photos only. is that how it is? or how does that go?

Need some info about this, I'll b glad if I could get some help here, guys.

thanks

Aug 27, 2012 10:18 AM in response to mahernemer

Do NOT use photo stream as a form of storage, the stream is a syncing mechanism used to copy photos between devices. Photos are saved there for a max of 30 days and up to 1000 photos. After 30 days (unless the 1000 limit is reached, in which case older photos are deleted) the photos are deleted.

You should be importing all pics taken with the iphone to your computer regularly as you would with any digital camera. If you do this (and many users don't, relied on icloud backups and eventuall lost some or all the photos doing a restore), there is no reason to add photos to icloud's backup.

iOS: Importing personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer

Aug 27, 2012 6:25 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Ooh, alright.

ok, if you don't mind, help me understand something here...

My iCloud storage got filled up, with 3GB of the 5GB consumed by the Camera Roll backup.

So I plugged my iPhone to my PC, and Moved all my Camera Roll photos and videos to my computer.

Later that day, my Camera Roll backup in iCloud dropped from 3GB to 2GB.

So for now, my camera roll is empty! (known that after I emptied it, my iCloud Camera Roll backup dropped from 3 to 2 GB)

What does that mean? is it possible that the remaining 2GB are old photos that I had, and deleted, but were still saved on my iCloud? and if that's how it goes, they why weren't the photos that I recently moved to my PC saved to iCloud? (I.e. if the 1GB dropout was from removing them)

I hope I made my case clear. thanks for help.

Aug 31, 2012 1:43 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Camera roll backup includes the photos that are currently in your photostream on said device.

I thus have turned off camera roll back up as I either open Mac iPhoto more often than 30days/1000 pics however just in case I never delete photos from iOS manually and just handle this when plugging into Mac iPhoto so I ensure they are on my mac and then I backup iPhoto library.

If I have camera roll back up on I find I am using too much of my free 5gb - this backup would only save me from losing my phone / phone dies but again I'f that happens ill open iPhoto that day and all my current images would be on photo stream. You would lose video tho.

What would be better is that camera roll iCloud backup only backed up local files (photos and videos)

And/or video stream

Mar 10, 2014 7:01 PM in response to Winston Churchill

A quicker way to reduce the size of your Camera Roll backup is to turn it off, backup, turn it back on, and backup again. I had removed 60% of the photos from my Camera Roll, but it had gone down in size at all. After I did this my Camera Roll went from 3.8Gb to 1.9Gb. I think I backed up three times, but maybe I was being impatient. Anyway, this trick is easy enough if you're impatient like me.

Photo Stream and Camera Roll - Let me see if I have this straight. . . .?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.