Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Word 2012 scam app on store

I just noticed a "Microsoft Word 2012" app on the app store while browsing AppShopper. I checked it on the store and it is obviously a scam. How did this app even make it to the store? I don't see how an app advertised as "All features of the MAC version on your device", but obviously does not makes it onto the store. I see that they creatively spelled MAC in all capital letters, as in MAC address, for example, and not Mac.

I also read on a app-dedicated website that not only this, but a "Cydia" scam app appeared on the store recently. Some readers responded to the article with the same concerns. Someone said that they are going to call Apple about this.

Are these scam apps going to become a problem with the App Store? Are they being caught fairly quickly?

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 9:25 AM

8 replies

Jun 17, 2012 9:33 AM in response to brandonmcgarvey

I also read on a app-dedicated website that not only this, but a "Cydia" scam app appeared on the store recently.

"Cydia" implies that one hacked (jailbroke) their phone. All sorts of scams can get into Cydia and Apple does not review it. People use Cydia to get apps NOT approved by Apple, and as a result: viruses, malware, scams. One of the many reasons jailbreaking is a very horrible idea.

Jun 17, 2012 12:07 PM in response to Sevores

Sevores wrote:

There should be a way of reporting fake/scam apps.

You can: If you discover that an app is a scam, open your email receipt and click the "Report a Problem" link. The app review process is not automated, but they mostly test for crashing, or if the app does not match the description. In spite of this, some apps stil squeeze through. I have seen all of two scams in my whole history searching the App Store.

Jun 17, 2012 12:22 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Yeah, but that only works for apps that you've bought. Things like 'Microsoft Word' from 'Super Real Racing Games' for $9.99 is a pretty obvious scam, yet I can't report it.

These articles do a great job of outlining the problem and the possible solutions:

http://impending.com/2012/02/2012-the-year-scam-apps-killed-the-app-store/

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/02/rampant-app-store-fraud-indicates-changes-in- apples-review-policy

Jun 17, 2012 1:44 PM in response to Sevores

Sevores,

App advice is where I read more about this mysterious Word 2012 app. They also mentioned the "Cydia" app that appeared recently for $.99. Apple seriously needs to be, well, serious about the approval process if they are going to keep such a closed system. If apps like this continue to slip through, everything they are trying to do with iOS and the apps will fail. iOS will be no different than Android. The hacking and scamming will come to iOS users, if it is not already here.

Just saying... I like my iPad and iPhone and the apps available for it.

Microsoft Word 2012 scam app on store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.