Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone personal hotspot not working on ipad or laptops, flashing on and off

Hi,

I hope someone can help.

I have an iphone 4, running iOS 5.1 and its been working fine until tonight. I use the personal hotspot on it, to share my internet connection (3G) to my ipad3. All has been fine, but tonight, when I try and connect to my iphone hotspot, the ipad tries to connect, shows up then disconnects, then shows up and disconnects again, does this maybe 4-5 times then stops and ipad don't try again until I tap it. On the iphone, it shows the blue banner at top saying 1 connection, and this goes on and off at the same time, but then sits on 1 connection, even though the ipad hasn't got a connection.

So I deleted the connection on my ipad and readded it, just the same. tried changed the name of my iphone and also the password, still the same. rebooted iphone and ipad, still the same. I then tried connecting my netbook and my laptop to it, it will sometimes get a connection to the iPhone but then come up limited connection and not allow internet access. I got it connected to my ipad3 for about 10 mins, then it dropped the connection, and won't reconnect again.

I really don't know why this has started happening. The wifi on the phone seems ok, as can connect to my router when at home fine.

Anyone any ideas? Don't really want to restore it etc

Thanks

Paul

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2017 10:52 AM

Ever since I have had my phone 2+ years I have never been able to get my hotspot to work and that is even with calling AT&T for support and going through all of their stupid steps of turning your phone off and on and change this and off and on again.

This fixed my problem THANK YOU, it was named iPhone and once I changed it to a different name with all lower cases it connected and worked fine.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2017 10:52 AM in response to Kedaar

Ever since I have had my phone 2+ years I have never been able to get my hotspot to work and that is even with calling AT&T for support and going through all of their stupid steps of turning your phone off and on and change this and off and on again.

This fixed my problem THANK YOU, it was named iPhone and once I changed it to a different name with all lower cases it connected and worked fine.

Jul 8, 2012 10:42 PM in response to shaiboy_uk

Update: I have found that if I connect my iPhone via USB and share the personal hotspot via USB that it works fine. But if I try and share it over wifi, it maybe lasts 5 mins then the blue status bar at the top of the iPhone, flashes on and off and the internet isn't shared.

I have restored my iphone and updated it to 5.1.1, but still get the same!

Can anyone suggest anything? Please help 😕

Thanks

Paul

Oct 9, 2012 11:17 AM in response to shaiboy_uk

I have the same problem every now and then too, whereby USB connection works fine but the Wireless hotspot fails (despite showing that there is one active connection) I can 'solve' it by turning off the iPhone and then turning back on again! (I know this is the most cliched answer to an IT question ever, "try turning it on and off again" but it works for me so might help you out too)

Apr 27, 2016 11:11 AM in response to Rusta_uk

Hi! I know its been almost four years since this question was posted. But I now have an iPhone 5S running iOS 9.3.1 and am experiencing the same problem now. The blue bar on top keeps flashing when I try to connect my PC to the personal hotspot. Please help me ASAP. Tell me if I should take the phone to the service center.

Thank You!

Apr 27, 2016 11:17 AM in response to Kedaar

Kedaar wrote:

Hi! I know its been almost four years since this question was posted. But I now have an iPhone 5S running iOS 9.3.1 and am experiencing the same problem now. The blue bar on top keeps flashing when I try to connect my PC to the personal hotspot. Please help me ASAP. Tell me if I should take the phone to the service center.

Thank You!

What kind of PC, not brand, but operating system? If the PC is Windows, what version? If Windows, do you have any special characters in the name of your phone, ie. * " ' anything like that?

Does your cellular plan support Personal Hotspot? Has it ever worked in the past?

Apr 27, 2016 11:24 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yes, it has worked in the past. Thank you for your reply. Its been just few minutes, but I've managed to find the solution here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/unable-to- connect-my-iphone-5s-hotspot-to-my/326c07dc-45f2-4970-8019-7f6e37787c8c?auth=1

It says that the phone's name must not contain any space or apostrophe symbol. So I went to Settings > General > About > Name and changed the name to a single word. Its working now. But I must mention that there was no problem before even with spaces and apostrophies(This is the first time am changing the iPhone's name). Thank You!

Jun 21, 2016 9:39 AM in response to shaiboy_uk

Relating to what Kedaar wrote: "The blue bar on top keeps flashing when I try to connect my PC to the personal hotspot..." and like Kedarr, my Windows 7 would not connect to the iPhone and throw up an error message.

So bouncing off of what ChrisJ4203 said: "If Windows, do you have any special characters in the name of your phone, ie. * " ' anything like that?"

Sure enough, the person I was supporting had their iPhone 6S labeled as "iPhone (6)." After re-naming their device to Sams iPhone 6s the blue flashing stopped and I was able to connect their laptop to the iPhone's personal hotspot wirelessly!

MY SOLUTION: Make sure your iPhone or iOS device is named something without / \ : * ? " < > | ( ) if you plan on using the Personal Hotspot (wirelessly) feature with a Windows PC.

iphone personal hotspot not working on ipad or laptops, flashing on and off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.