Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppStore app has been randomly opening up without any prompting. Happened to anyone else?

A few times today, while I was using Safari, the AppStore application opened up on its own, taking me to a page for the game called' Slots Jouney HD'. I was curious if this has happened to anyone else. Is this a virus or something?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 8:53 PM

12 replies

Jul 10, 2012 6:08 AM in response to shanefromtx

Three things you should do (in this order):

1. Close whatever app is open on the iPad, then double click the home button to open the app tray, tap and hold until the red minus appears and close all apps in the tray
  2. go to the Settings app, select Safari, and Clear History and Clear Cookies and Data
  3. Rest the iPad by simultaneously holding down the Home and on buttons until the iPs shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Should about ten seconds more of less. Then restart the iPad using the On button.

Obviously, if that doesn't work, post back.

Jul 11, 2012 5:25 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Ahh! it started happening again -AppStore occasionally opening up on its own when I'm on Safari, taking me to the game "Slots Journey HD"- Really strange that it's happening to other iPad users, also. If I reset the iPad it seems to stop for awhile, but eventually it happens again. Seems like theres some kind of bug in the AppStore, maybe?

I can't really figure out what's the best way to report this to Apple, where they'll actually see it. Supposedly there is supposed to be a link on the game somewhere where you can report it for problems, but I cannot find it anywhere.

Mar 8, 2014 3:06 AM in response to shanefromtx

Having the same problem on the iPhone, however, the app store also opens when any app with ads/banners is open. Deleting all affected apps and clearing the browser cache (of both Safari and Chrome) did help in the short term, but after a few days it started again.

Did anyone find a more permanent solution in the meanwhile other than reinstalling iOS?

AppStore app has been randomly opening up without any prompting. Happened to anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.