Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock Disabled iPad without iTunes

Hey, i want to unlock my disabled iPad without using iTunes. I gave the iPad to my friend and he tapped in the wrong passcode. Now, he is not able to use it as it says that iPad is disabled. How can I unlock it without using iTunes, as it was setup using my laptop for the first time. He can't send the iPad to me. How to resolve this issue?

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2016 7:58 PM

Exactly bro, I am the genuine owner of this iPad and it is disabled because of a stupid kids, now I have to lose everything to be able to restore it and use it again, seriously Apple should do something about this, at least make it unlockable through the iCloud thing as I know my email and the password for my iPad obviously. People cannot handle losing valuable data and pictures, very bad Apple my thumbs down for this issue.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2016 7:58 PM in response to Regfromqld

Exactly bro, I am the genuine owner of this iPad and it is disabled because of a stupid kids, now I have to lose everything to be able to restore it and use it again, seriously Apple should do something about this, at least make it unlockable through the iCloud thing as I know my email and the password for my iPad obviously. People cannot handle losing valuable data and pictures, very bad Apple my thumbs down for this issue.

Nov 27, 2013 9:26 PM in response to Diavonex

Remote wiping doesnt work in all cases. It didnt for me.

This is just a stupid function where I had my ipad lockup and had to wipe something but I dont keep data on the unit its remotely stored ... but at least im not as flipant as you to say .. yea go ahead.. wipe your system .. f#@k your data and what it means to you because of Apples stupid lockup programming.

Apple at one stage couldnt do a thing other than to send it in for servicing (which is to another country). That would have meant the unit away 5 weeks checking out why it couldnt be remotely wiped, couldnt be locally wiped etc. It just so happened a remote wipe worked after many many tries.

Its caught me out and should be changed.

Dec 18, 2016 11:41 AM in response to Regfromqld

Yes. I am locked out of an ipad mini and do not have itunes. It is a disaster trying to fix it. No contact phone number hundreds sites telling mw to reset password all inapropriate. This happened cus od the new double identity push. I had a new password it wud not accept. I have a black screen and cant do anything. Apple is a disaster. Two feature identity turned off but have bern unable to use ipad for 2 days. Some programmers must be frickibg idiots. IT IS A STUPID FEATURE. STUPID APPLE. I AM 70 YEARS OLD AND HAVE FAR TOO MANY PASSWORDS TO REMEMBER WOTHOUT BEING LOCKED OUT BECAUSE I DONT WANT FINGER ID. AS WELL AS OTHER ID. BUY AN ANDROID TO AVOIDXTHE TROUBLE IS MY ADVICE. I HAVE WASTED MY MONEY. HATE ITUNES HATE ICLOUD. ALL I WANT IS EMAIL AND PHOTOS AND BOOKS.

Jul 12, 2012 1:28 AM in response to shalin24

If it's showing the 'disabled' screen then it needs to be connected to a computer's iTunes. If it's not the computer that it's normally synced to, then, from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1212 :

If you restore on a different computer that was never synced with the device, you will be able to unlock the device for use and remove the passcode, but your data will not be present.

You may need to put the iPad into recovery mode : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

Jun 20, 2013 11:32 PM in response to shalin24

this feature is just well... PLAIN CRAZY!!!

I went on a 3 hour journey on rough roads with my bluetooth keyboard in the back and the ipad. It appears that the bluetooth keyboard was hitting the ipad for the security code that the ipad was locked. I totally wasted my intention to go somewhere quiet and read and write on the ipad. Seriously pi$$d with Apple putting this into the coding i returned specially to try and contact Apple and unlock the system. FOUR chat sessions later going to the next day as well it was settled that i had to restore my computer as i am travelling and have no access to another persons computer given that i am dependent on my own computer to RESTOREthe ipad for which a RESTORATION could not be successfully performed...

"oh thats weird .. can you try it on another computer" was my suggested fix. SORRY ummm no im travelling overseas!! .. so it makes me wonder whether to travel with another apple product again as if something happens or you discover some crazy feature that puts you into a compromised position when out on the road ...sorry you got no help.

Nov 25, 2013 4:41 AM in response to shalin24

I have also the same problem but mine is not synced to itunes on any computer so I can't sync with my Ipad.I read that apple "find my Iphone" can be used to erase the passcode on the disabled Ipad and now sync the Ipad to itunes.My big problem is when I was erasing the passcode,It says that the "disabled Ipad" is connectiong to the internet but it doesn't connect,I waited so long but it didn't connect to the internet. Please help me,My Ipad is for my education

Mar 27, 2016 8:32 PM in response to Comtronics

Comtronics wrote:

A) you're replying to a thread that dates back nearly 4 years, so hardly worth dredging up since you already posted your own question.

B) simply maintaining proper backups would avoid the problems of this thread. In fact, if people would just keep backups, I'd guesstimate 90+% of the issues ever posted in these forums could be fixed without any fuss or drama or upset to anyone.

Unlock Disabled iPad without iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.