Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad not charging when using extension cable

I bought an extension docking cable that allows me to hook my iPad to my radio dock I usually have my iPhone on. It charges the iPhone fairly fasy, but when I hook the iPad to it, my screen shows "not charging". Anyone know what this might be?

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 8:29 AM

10 replies

Jul 18, 2012 9:12 AM in response to Kendown

This can happen if the USB port isn't putting out enough power, usually 5 watts instead of 10. Try turning the iPad off and charging it from the radio dock.

Check this out -> iPad: Charging the battery

Note: Some USB 2.0 ports and accessories do not provide enough power to charge iPad. When this occurs the message "Not Charging" appears in the status bar next to the battery icon.

User uploaded file

Jul 18, 2012 11:14 AM in response to Kendown

Is that a Chinese, cheap cable, or an Apple-approved one (much more expensive but working)? Cheap Chinese cables are all very bad and should not be used to recharge the iPad (as opposed to synchronization). I'm pretty sure this is the reason it doesn't charge. There's even an article on their (sub-par) performance: http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/longer-non-apple-cables-and-charging-ipad

Ipad not charging when using extension cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.