Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apps reported as virus

I just downloaded two apps from iTunes, and one of them has been flagged by ClamXav as being a virus:

-Quotes for Cards (for Instagram)

2012-07-24 10:19:21 /Users/{me}/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/Downloads/Instaquotes-Quotes Cards For Instagram.tmp/Info.plist: OK

2012-07-24 10:19:22 /Users/{me}/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/Downloads/Instaquotes-Quotes Cards For Instagram.tmp/download.app: Worm.VB-900 FOUND

2012-07-24 10:19:24 /Users/{me}/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/Instaqoutes 1.0.ipa: Worm.VB-900 FOUND

I let ClamXav move it to the trash, but what else can/should be done? How can I verify whether this is actually a virus? A search for information on the app turned up very little, and nothing at all with reference to a possible virus or malware.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro i7 15, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 8:08 AM

That is a Windows virus, and cannot affect your Mac. Removing it is all that is necessary.

Even though this cannot affect Mac OS X, inclusion of malware in an App Store app is still a very serious issue! I have downloaded it and see the same problem here. I'm not actually sure where to report such a problem, but I'm going to look into that.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2012 8:08 AM in response to deesto

That is a Windows virus, and cannot affect your Mac. Removing it is all that is necessary.

Even though this cannot affect Mac OS X, inclusion of malware in an App Store app is still a very serious issue! I have downloaded it and see the same problem here. I'm not actually sure where to report such a problem, but I'm going to look into that.

Jul 24, 2012 12:16 PM in response to deesto

I'm still unclear as to whether it's possible to push a notification upstream in order to let Apple (and others) know this app is infected, whether intentionally or not.

I have e-mailed an address at Apple that was given to me by one of my colleagues in the security industry. I have also posted a note on the developer's Facebook page (which appears to be the only way to get in touch with them) and added a review of the app detailing the problem to the iOS App Store.

As much as I agree with etresoft that this can't hurt you, and that it wouldn't even hurt a Windows user, it is troubling. This was probably accidental, but we can't rule out the possibility that it was a probe to see whether Apple screens iOS apps for malware that can affect other systems. Why anyone would be interested in doing that, I don't know, but I learned a long time ago that just because I don't see the reason doesn't mean there isn't one! In any case, though, we've just learned something interesting about Apple's screening process.

apps reported as virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.