Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location services not working on Ipad3 all of a sudden. Works with some apps but not most including maps, google earth etc

My iPad has all of a sudden stopped being able to find my location. All the location settings are correct and I have even set the network settings, restarted the iPad but to no avail. Apps like maps, Google Earth all say they cannot find my location and the arrow that normally comes up never appears. The app 'Bump' appears to be able to use my location. I downloaded a GPS app and it did not show any location details.

Any help would be appreciated.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 6:33 AM

8 replies

Jul 26, 2012 7:51 AM in response to TravellingLad

TravellingLad wrote:

My iPad has all of a sudden stopped being able to find my location. All the location settings are correct and I have even set the network settings, restarted the iPad but to no avail. Apps like maps, Google Earth all say they cannot find my location and the arrow that normally comes up never appears. The app 'Bump' appears to be able to use my location. I downloaded a GPS app and it did not show any location details.

Any help would be appreciated.

Your profile indicates you have an iPad wifi. GPS requires that your iPad be the wifi+3G model. The wifi-only model does not have the GPS receiver hardware.

Jul 26, 2012 3:45 PM in response to TravellingLad

Thanks Bob & HeralsTom. I did the reset and still nothing and Bob I do hear what your saying but I am sure I had location services before.

Why/how has some of my pictures taken from the IAd camera show a location of where they were taken? Admittedly it is only a few howevers there is still a location. When these were taken they were connected to my Iphone hotspot.

Is it using the iPhone for the location? If so why is it that only a few pics have location details of where they're were taken.

Cheers

Aug 12, 2012 1:32 PM in response to TravellingLad

I think I've narrowed this down to IP portability (in my case). Location services seem to be working fine when I'm on an IP that's stable or static, and it's completely worthless when I'm on my home wifi and the provider is 30 miles away and I've been hit with IP roulette. What we need now is an app to hack location.

Did know until I started looking into this that wif-only doesn't have GPS. Whoops.

Aug 15, 2012 5:48 PM in response to daveanddiane

I figured out my situation learning about geolocation by IP address and wifi hotspots. There's a bit to read, but you might discover an answer to your questions by seeing what applies to you. My work ip is static, my home ip is not. Any geolocation data assembled about my home ip is worthless when my ip gets changed. In doing my research I found multiple locations for my ip from multiple providers. There is also services that map you by your wifi router MAC address. Apple's system is apparently proprietary so, it's a mystery for me how I might influence the issue at home.

Location services not working on Ipad3 all of a sudden. Works with some apps but not most including maps, google earth etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.