Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i restore my phone using the ipsw from an external hard drive

I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and don't have very good signal. One of the guys thought it would be funny to change my passcode, and then forgot it. Now my phone is disabled, and the computer I used to set it up is in the states. The signal here is too week to download the Iphone update software via iTunes(keeps losing signal partway through and restarting the download). Its 802MB so I spend seven hours at the computer lab to download the ipsw to an external hard drive. I used the instruction I found via google to restore the phone, and its not working. Itunes keeps trying to download it again. Not sure how to make itunes read the downloaded version. Also its not my computer, so I logged into my apple ID on his itunes. Does this create part of the problem. When unzipping the file some of the files were encrypted. Maybe thats part of the problem?

Please help if you can.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 10:04 PM

6 replies

Jul 29, 2012 10:14 PM in response to joehazelton

You'd still have to have the internet connection to download iTunes even with the computer. You may not like the suggestion but get your computer shipped to you ASAP. Then you'll have all your stuff back. That or if you just want it for music and stuff make him let you use his iTunes acct since he f***** you. Good Luck and Stay in one Piece Brother

Jul 30, 2012 2:35 AM in response to HillbillyfromAL

Thanks,

I have an internet connection that works fine for iTunes. Its just not fast enough, or stable enough to download the entire iPhone software update. Thats why I downloaded it at the computer lab. The issue is how to get iTunes to read the file instead of trying to download it again.

My girlfriend is sending me the software update, as the computer used to set it up is hers. My first iPhone got stolen a few months ago. (not having much luck with these things since I bought the first on last November). If you have any tips on how to get iTunes to read the new file I would appreciate it, as even though she is sending me the newest update, I still need iTunes to read it.

Thanks.

Jul 30, 2012 2:59 AM in response to joehazelton

Hi joehazelton,

If you have already got the ipsw file, (assuming that it's a latest version or the version on your iPhone at least), you can try the following:

If you are using a Windows 7 PC:

Go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

If you are using a Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

If you are using Mac:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/[can't recall the folder name]

Once you locate this folder, copy the ipsw file to this location. Then try to restore your iPhone.

Please post your feedbacks!

-aneesh-

www.sarayoo.info

Jul 30, 2012 9:06 PM in response to joehazelton

What 're you trying to unzip? The ipsw file is a single file. You don't have to unzip it, do you? Or was it sent you zipped by your friend?

You can try the following to ensure the file is not corrupted while copying to USB/ external drive:

- Use any type of hashing tools (e.g. HashCalc) and hash the file before and after copying to the external drive

- Copy the hash value

- Copy the file to the specified location in my previous answer

- Hash the file again and ensure the values here and the value before match. If it doesn't, then the file is corrupted while copying. It must match!

Let me know the outcome.

-aneesh-

www.sarayoo.info

Message was edited by: sarayoo.info

how do i restore my phone using the ipsw from an external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.