Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 won't charge when plugged into the wall or computer. Please Help!

Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help me??

My other half took my iPad 2 to Ireland (and took the official Apple wall charger). One night when he was charging the iPad it came up with the message 'this accessory is not compatible with this device' but he left it as he knew it was the correct charger and had the lightning bolt over the battery meter. Plus we have other Apple devices (iPhones, iPod Touch and iPod video and nano) that have displayed this message before and been okay.

Since he has been back, whenever the iPad is plugged into charge, either via wall mains or via USB on my laptop it won't charge. It doesn't even recognise that it is plugged in (no lightning bolt over the battery meter, no noise or vibration to show that it has been plugged in).

I've spoke to Apple Support today and found that it is 36 days out of warranty and will cost me over £210 to repair 😢. The operator did suggest that I back up the iPad and then restore it to its factory settings but when I plug it in to my laptop with iTunes on it does not recognise it is there! So how can I do this?

Please can someone help? I've tried googling all sorts of resolutions but none work, you guys are my last hope as I cannot afford to repair it! 😟😟

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Leanne

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 8:48 AM

9 replies

Jul 30, 2012 9:09 AM in response to arj-89

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I followed your steps but it still won't charge or recognise when it is plugged in.

Also if the iPad is powered off and I plug it in, all it does it switches the iPad back on but still won't charge it. So I think it recognises something when it is powered off but all it does it turn it on.

Forgot to add that I have tried the 10v and 5v power supplies, different USB cables, different wall outputs and then made sure all of these options charged my iPhone (which they did).

Is my iPad able to be saved without be paying for a service / repair?

Jul 30, 2012 10:07 AM in response to leannedartnell

I hate to say it, but if you've confirmed that your chargers and cables are okay, and you've sprayed out the dock connector then your port may be bad.

I know the 36 days is hard to swallow - it'd frustrate me - but it is probably an issue with the port.

You can always make a genius bar appointment and maybe when you talk to a person face to face they may be more sympathetic. When a person calls APple support, they stick to the letter of the warranty. But sometimes individual store personnel have more discretion. It's a long shot but has been known to happen.

Jul 30, 2012 10:36 AM in response to Skydiver119

Thanks for your response, I think I'm in denial really! Not sure how it can be fine one day and then not charging the next.

Yes I'm going to book an appt for the Genius Bar and hope they may be sympathetic seeing as I am heavily pregnant and was planning on taking my iPad to hospital to keep me entertained during labour!!

Hoping that as its only just out of warranty that they may use their discretion and repair it free of charge. They have seen my sister before and replaced her iPhone 4 even though that was out of warranty.

Thanks all for your help

Oct 18, 2012 4:23 PM in response to leannedartnell

So, today I was able to connect my ipad to the computer and completely restore to factory settings, first I backed it up to icloud, then through itunes I was able to erase my ipad2 completely then disconnect from the computer and through icloud, restore my system. It worked... the first time I restored my ipad I didn't do it through itunes so the system didn't get erased, so you have to go through itunes.

back up your ipad on icloud first...

connect ipad.. do not sync.

click on ipad icon in your itunes program.

go to summary

version

restore

once restored disconnect and get your back up from icloud,.

worked for me!!

iPad 2 won't charge when plugged into the wall or computer. Please Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.