Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Iphone Wi-fi does not work. I've tried almost everything...

Hi,

I have a Iphone 4S about 4 months now. At first my wi-fi connection worked just fine, but after upgrading my firmware from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 i started to have some serious and frustrating problems: My wi-fi connection stoped working!

Now, i've tried almost everything:

* Reset my network settings

* Reset all settings

* Erase all content and settings...

Well, if I continue this erasing and resetting... maybe my iphone will learn how to fly directly to my bedroom wall...

I bought my iphone in another country (yep, unlocked). I've tried to donwgrade once but since i don't have the SHSH Blobs from firmware 5.0.1... well... do i have to say what happened? At the end of the day and hours and hours of downloads.. guess what? still not working...

And it's not just in my house, it's everywhere!

The only thing he gives me is this: " Could not scan for wireless networks"

By the way any other mobile connection works just fine, thanks... Just my wi-fi decided to give me a hard time and an enormous headache.

Someone, please... Help me...

I'm starting to accept the idea of waiting for the next update out to try to solve my problem ... And the problem with the Iphone 4s is not the hardware, the wifi worked after an unsuccessful downgrade that forced me to restore the firmware to 5.1.1, but stopped again for no apparent reason.

Message was edited by: Cpessoa

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 10:49 AM

34 replies

Jul 30, 2012 12:36 PM in response to Cpessoa

I have the same problem. I have a iPhone 4S running OS 5.1.1 on ATT. I too have reset network settings to no avail.

It says it can't scan for wireless networks-it doesn't see any networks, not just my wifi network at home. The 4G data works though. The thing is, I haven't upgraded or downgraded firmware recently-it just stopped working. When I go on the wifi networks page in settings and it shows "WIFI" - ON, "Choose a Network" - spinning wheel of death, "Ask to Join Networks" - ON. All the other computers, including an iPod touch can go on my home WIFI network without issue.

Its clearly not a problem with the airport extreme 2009 802.11N that I have running my network because my Macbook Pro, Powerbook G4, my iPod Touch 2nd Gen, and 2 apple TVs all connect just fine to the WIFI network.

The iPhone 4S also cannot connect to any other WIFI network, anywhere. No networks even show up in its list.

Since it has to be a problem with the iPhone 4S, and a reset doesn't fix the issue, what else could I do to fix it?

Thanks for your help.

Jul 30, 2012 8:37 PM in response to Apple Support Josh

Hello,

I am facing the same problem since yesterday. I have a factory unlocked iPhone4S from the US, and it was working just fine until last Sunday. However, since yesterday the phone neither connects to my WIFI nor detect any bluetooth devices (which were even paired earlier!!!). I tried "Reset all my settings" and it worked fine for another day. But now, back to the same problem.

As I can see many of us facing the same problem, is it something to do with the updates of OS? and we all misinterpret with the Hardware?

Anyone from APPLE have something to say here??? It is really annoying to have a "Handicapped" phone like this!!! I am proud owner of other APPLE products as well, and still think APPLE should fix by releasing a patch or something...!!!

Thanks,

Badri.

Aug 5, 2012 5:18 AM in response to Cpessoa

I'm having exactly the same problem. The wifi stopped working on my IPhone 4s about a week ago. I've tried network reset and general re set but the problem remains. It's does not recognise any wi fi networks. It is not a problem with my router as it does not recognise any routers or public wi fi networks. This is obviously a fairly wide spread problem, my phone is only 4 months old and I would not expect this to happen. Could someone from Apple please respond and let me know what to do? Shall I return it to the apple store as its still under warrenty.

Aug 6, 2012 9:12 AM in response to horroranddelight

Guys,

Believe me, i've searched through the network, for weeks! looking for an answer and i didn't find anything... I was starting to believe that i was the only one having problem with iOS 5.1.1

But the thing is that, my sister have a Iphone 4s also, and she's not having any problem with iOS 5.1.1 ( so far)

I don't know what's happening, but for sure? it is not happening to everyone!

I'm taking my Iphone to apple's support and let's see what happens! I already lost my contacts and my patience, it's frustating!

Aug 6, 2012 11:10 AM in response to Cpessoa

There are thousands of us with the same problem. Mine cannot search for wi-fi either and I have done every reset , power off, and restore possible. I've decided to just wait for the next release as the tech geeks want to ignore the real problem and talk to us as if we are all idiots. I especially love the "is the Wi-fi toggle turned off" response or the "it could be a problem with your router".

Aug 7, 2012 6:56 AM in response to Dgigman2

The iOS 6 is about to be launch... Let's see if they get this one right and solve our problems... instead of making us spend more money trying to fix something that they do it wrong.. A Iphone without wifi connection... is useless...

And the router response... yeah! like maybe, if i restore every router in every place that i may go, my phone will work just fine! the problem is: find the router at the airport, at the square, at college... my home is easy... but what about the other places?

Aug 26, 2012 2:06 PM in response to Cpessoa

Dear all friends

I have the SAME SAME and SAME problem as you all :-(A few days ago, when I surfed the ineternet, did iCloud backup, my iphone 4s (ios 5.1.1) wifi just freezed. Then I restarted my iphone and it worked again. It happened a few times. Then yesterday my iphone wifi just stopped working, when I turn the wifi on, it acted as it's searching but never found a single network. So I go to 'Other' and tried to manually join the network but it said 'Could not scan for wireless netwroks.' I have tried all: reset network, reset content and network, restore the phone, turn on and off, ... but no miracle happened!

I wonder is it a software (iOS) or hardware problem? Anyway I bought my iPhone 4s (factory unlocked) about 5 monthes ago in my home country Cambodia and now I'm in the US for my grad study.

Thank and hope we could find the excat problem and solution soon :-(

Sep 9, 2012 9:29 PM in response to Cpessoa

I HAVE FOUND A FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM AND HOPE IT WORKS FOR ALL OF YOU

fix wifi for iphone 4s running on ios 5.1.1(USING WINDOWS COMPUTER)

STEP 1 : CREATE AN AD-HOC NETWORK IN YOUR COMPUTER... GO TO THIS LINK http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Set-up-a-computer-to-computer-a d-hoc-network

STEP 2: ASSIGN A NAME AND MARK SECURITY AS NONE ,BECAUSE WE NEED A OPEN AD-HOC NETWORK

STEP 3: SWITCH ON WIFI IN YOUR IPHONE 4S(i dont know if this works for iphone 4/3gs/3g)

STEP 4: TAP ON OTHER

STEP 5 :TYPE THE NAME OF THE AD HOC NETWORK WHICH YOU ASSIGNED AND CLICK CONNECT

STEP 6: IT WILL SHOW FAILED TO JOIN AT THE TOP,OR SOMETIMES IT WILL SHOW FAILED TO JOIN THE NETWORK (name)

STEP 7: REPEAT THIS STEP TWO TO THREE TIMES AND TO THREE TIMES AND YOU SHOULD SEE THAT YOU ARE CONNECTED TO YOUR AD HOC NETWORK

STEP 8 : AFTER THIS DISCONNECT AD HOC NETWORK FROM YOUR WINDOWS COMPUTER AND THEN SCAN FOR OTHER NETWORKS ON YOUR IPHONE 4S .......VOLA!!!!!...ALL NETWORKS NOW POP UP...!!!

My Iphone Wi-fi does not work. I've tried almost everything...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.