Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there any possibility in future that the new ipad or ipad 3 supports third party controllers (ps3, xbox 360) via NFC or RFID, as i was reading an article about apple's new patent of game controller... there are ipad games which need a controller...

read the question

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 3:29 PM

15 replies

Aug 4, 2012 3:40 PM in response to Haseeb_ Ayesha

Well I can tell you right now that the 360 controller will never be supported. It uses a propriatary wireless technology that only works with the Xbox 360 and a reciever Microsoft made for Windows machines.

There actually already are some game controllers produced for the iPad. They skirt around the Bluetooth restrictions by behaving as wireless keyboards. Only a small handful of games support them though, and because of the input method they are strictly digital in nature (no working analog sticks).

Aug 4, 2012 3:55 PM in response to Dylrob

imagine play nova 2 with touch screen.... sounds painful 😝 right??...

the thing is that the new ipad has potential as a gaming tablet.... its retina display gives a tough competition to game consoles .. if a gaming controller is introduced which works with all the ipad games, then this will be the future of gaming...

btw, does any one here have info abt upcoming ipad games??... will v see games like skyrim, assasins creed, COD ??

Aug 4, 2012 4:17 PM in response to Haseeb_ Ayesha

Haseeb_ Ayesha wrote:

imagine play nova 2 with touch screen.... sounds painful 😝 right??...

the thing is that the new ipad has potential as a gaming tablet.... its retina display gives a tough competition to game consoles .. if a gaming controller is introduced which works with all the ipad games, then this will be the future of gaming...

btw, does any one here have info abt upcoming ipad games??... will v see games like skyrim, assasins creed, COD ??

Oh, I agree: FPS controls suck on the touch screen. The developers try their best, but it's still awkward compared to other control methods.

Whether Apple does eventually add proper support for an external gamepad is just something we will have to wait and see. For now i think your best option is to buy a dedicated gaming handheld for those sorts of things.

is there any possibility in future that the new ipad or ipad 3 supports third party controllers (ps3, xbox 360) via NFC or RFID, as i was reading an article about apple's new patent of game controller... there are ipad games which need a controller...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.