Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad not recognized by itunes or my PC...stuck in recovery mode

Wow... what a mess.

I inherited a first gen iPad last week... wanted to wipe it clean and start fresh. Restored and erased all content... and now it's stuck in recovery mode. It's not recognized in iTunes or at all by my PC. When I plug it in... nothing at all. Looked in my device manager for it to show up... nothing. Tried restaring it, putting it into DFU mode, plugging it into different usb ports, different usb cables, reinstalling itunes, trying it on multiple different computers, and pretty much every how to help article I could find on the web.

HELP! There must be some way to kick this thing back to life. It's fully charged, was treated well before I had it, and practically new.

HELP! Please.

iPad

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 1:17 PM

try this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1567 if this doesn't work try: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

4 replies

Aug 6, 2012 1:30 PM in response to raymiemusser

I'd previously tried both those articles... I tried them again though. Thanks!

I thought I might have been getting somewhere with the second one... but got stuck on step 4.

It seems the AMD usb driver isn't showing up in my device manager. I searched around online and found nothing that worked for fixing it...

I followed the steps in

If the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not listed

but couldn't locate the apple device.

Aug 6, 2012 2:01 PM in response to Heisholt

did you try all those steps:

1. Disconnect the device from the computer.
  2. Save a screenshot by pressing the Home button and the Wake/Sleep button at the same time (the screen should flash briefly). Note: Taking screenshots and saving images on iPod touch requires iOS version 2.0 or later.
  3. Reconnect the device to the computer.
  4. Open the Device Manager in Windows as follows:
    Windows XP: Click Start > Run. In the resulting dialog type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard.
    Windows Vista or Windows 7: Click Start. In the dialog, type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click "Continue".
  5. Expand all the sections labeled below (not all sections may be listed):
    • Imaging Devices
    • Other Devices
    • Portable Devices
    • Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  6. Look for the entry that recognizes the device as a camera. This entry should be called Apple iPhone,Apple iPad,or Apple iPod.

iPad not recognized by itunes or my PC...stuck in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.