Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help with using external microphone on iPhone

Hi dear all.

I need some help, here's a quick summary.

After much consideration, searching and recommendations, I decided to get the Audio-Technica ATR3350 lavalier microphone for recording usage on my iPhone 4. Was planning on getting the Audio Technica ATR35S but it has since been replaced by the ATR3350.

Nightmare begins... due to my ignorance... Didn't realised I cannot plug this microphone directly into my iPhone when I wanted to do some video recordings. It just couldn't pick up my voice. Went apple stores was told this product wasn't designed for apple devices so it does not work.

Did some quick search online, found that may need to get an iPhone external microphone adapter. In the end I got one from Micronic.co.uk

I finally got the adapter shipped to me from UK. Was so excited tested it on my iPhone but it wasn't working, tested on the iPad also not working.

Initially thought the microphone is faulty but after testing on my notebook realised it's working fine without the adapter.

Prior to ordering the adapter, I actually emailed the store owner and even asked him twice to confirm that this adapter will work with the ATR3350 and the iPhone 4 and he replied yes to both emails. Now I'm trying to get in contact with him on this issue but so far a few days no luck haven't heard from him yet.

Now I spent some money on this microphone and the adapter, wondering should I get another adapter confirm will work with the ATR3350 or perhaps I should just sell them away and get another microphone?

Any recommendations for a lavalier microphone that sure will work with iPhone 4 out of the box with no need for additional accessories?

http://www.micronic.co.uk/ Mobile App

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 4

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 8:41 AM

I would say the iphone headset have 4 wires

left channel

right channel

mic in

ground

I would say an external mic being mono at least that all iphone support

would be 2 wires

mic in

ground

then I would take a apple headset and cannibalize it

there also are adaptors which change the apple headset into

2 normal std 3.5mm audio output connector

1 mono mic in connector you could chekc out those

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2012 8:41 AM in response to Barefoot.Ken

I would say the iphone headset have 4 wires

left channel

right channel

mic in

ground

I would say an external mic being mono at least that all iphone support

would be 2 wires

mic in

ground

then I would take a apple headset and cannibalize it

there also are adaptors which change the apple headset into

2 normal std 3.5mm audio output connector

1 mono mic in connector you could chekc out those

Need help with using external microphone on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.