Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer a iPhone back up to new computer?

Got a new laptop and want to start using it with my iPhone. Right now, all my info, songs, books, pics, etc are on my desktop. Is there a way to copy the last back up to my laptop so I don't lose everything as soon as I attach my iPhone to my laptop? Also, I copied, by USB, all the songs from my itunes library on my desktop to my laptop, and now they don't work on my laptop? :/ Anybody able to suggest anything? Thanks.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 9:13 AM

This Apple doc provides the location of your iPhone backup -> iTunes: About iOS backups

Where iTunes backups are stored on your computer

The folder where your backup data are stored varies depending on the computer's operating system. Make sure the backup folder is included in your periodic data-backup routine.

iTunes places the backup files in the following places:

• Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
  • Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    Note: To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, and choose Run. Type %appdata% and click OK.
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata% and press the Return key.

For more info about moving your music to the new computer, see this -> iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

Also, you'll have to move your photos over manually, iTunes has to do the one-way street syncing of potentially coyprighted data. It does allow you to transfer iTunes Store purchases that haven't been moved to your new computer though.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2012 9:13 AM in response to jennjenn74

This Apple doc provides the location of your iPhone backup -> iTunes: About iOS backups

Where iTunes backups are stored on your computer

The folder where your backup data are stored varies depending on the computer's operating system. Make sure the backup folder is included in your periodic data-backup routine.

iTunes places the backup files in the following places:

• Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
  • Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    Note: To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, and choose Run. Type %appdata% and click OK.
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata% and press the Return key.

For more info about moving your music to the new computer, see this -> iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

Also, you'll have to move your photos over manually, iTunes has to do the one-way street syncing of potentially coyprighted data. It does allow you to transfer iTunes Store purchases that haven't been moved to your new computer though.

How do I transfer a iPhone back up to new computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.