Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I ever be able to access products that need adobe flash drive on my iPad I find this so frustrating does anyone else feel this way

Will I ever be able to access products that need adobe flash drive on my iPad I find this so frustrating does anyone else feel this way

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 4:27 PM

16 replies

Aug 19, 2012 4:30 PM in response to Eileenjo

No Flash for iPads, iPhones, or iPods

Here's why there's is no Flash available for iDevices or other mobile devices. Adobe was unable to provide a product that was suitable to the needs of battery powered mobile devices used for Internet browsing. Existing Flash technology used too much memory, ate battery life, and was buggy. Simply put Flash did not work well on mobile devices.

Apple's Steve Jobs led the escape from Flash dependency when Apple introduced the iPhone, and later introduced the iPad. There was a hue and cry over the omission. Time proved Jobs was right on target.

So this is why there is no Flash for your iPhone or iPad or iPod nor for most SmartPhones. Flash has been abandoned by many sites in favor of supported technologies such as HTML5 or by providing their own custom app.

Here is Steve Jobs official comment on his momentous decision to omit Flash from iDevices: Steve Jobs on Flash.

Here is Adobe's later announcement to cease development of Flash for mobile devices: Adobe on Mobile Flash.

Now, you are not necessarily out on a limb. There are some apps that can display some Flash, but don't count on there ability to display anything using Flash.

Apps that can display some Flash from the Web:

• Puffin
  • SkyFire
  • Photon Flash
  • Browse2Go
  • iSwifter

Also, note that many sites that use Flash provide their own app for accessing their material. So check with your favorite sites and find out if "there's an app for that."

Aug 19, 2012 4:35 PM in response to Eileenjo

No, you will not at least not via a browser add on. And no, many do NOT feel the same way. Personally - and I have been doing web/online app development for years, Flash can't go away fast enough. It's crap.

Depending on the specific content you are trying to get to, you can:

1. Check the app store for some of the apps that stream the Flash content to a third party server and then converts to sen back to you. They do not always work for some content
  2. See if there is an app in the app store for the specific site you are trying to access (most news sites for, example have one).

Aug 19, 2012 4:51 PM in response to Eileenjo

I don't mind it at all. I love the fact that the lack of flash means the lack of resource and bandwidth hogging obnoxious ads. I run my computer with flash deliberately turned off and it's amazing how fast you can surf without all that bloated junk bogging you down.

Flash is, IMHO, a sucky program and a massive pain in the tush and it can't go away fast enough.

Aug 19, 2012 4:55 PM in response to Skydiver119

Skydiver119 wrote:

I don't mind it at all. I love the fact that the lack of flash means the lack of resource and bandwidth hogging obnoxious ads. I run my computer with flash deliberately turned off and it's amazing how fast you can surf without all that bloated junk bogging you down.

Flash is, IMHO, a sucky program and a massive pain in the tush and it can't go away fast enough.

Unfortunately, it's still extremely widespread on the web and those that need the information must use a different product to get that information.

You might wish to get your computer checked out. I have no problems with Flash up and running on mine.

Aug 19, 2012 6:36 PM in response to Eileenjo

Adobe does not make anything called flash drive.

In six years of ios devices adobe flash player has never been available for download for it.

Adobe has abandoned mobile flash for any mobile device and laid off the developers.

Android no longer has flash available for any devices, Google Chrome does not support it in anyway.

Mobile flash is dead and gone - whining about it is not going to bring it back.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.