Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After syncing iphone 4s, no call history stored.

As above, i have successfully been able to sync what I needed from itunes to my iphone; photos, music, contacts and SMS' appear on my new phone.

However, no call history is stored. Regardless of number dialed, no recent or missed calls are being stored; call history is constantly blank. What can i do?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 9:26 PM

18 replies

Aug 21, 2012 9:36 PM in response to mandikins88

Call history doesn't sync, contacts do. There are third party applications allowing this, but by default it's not really permanent information that is backed up. Is there a number in there you need, or is it just an inconvenience?

Edit: Do you mean that when you restore a backup it's not showing a call history? Or do you mean that you could make a call on your phone right now, and when you go to "recents" nothing is shown there? If so, try clearing your call history, even if it's blank. It caps out at a certain number and I have heard it can bug out. Does it let you hit "edit" and then "clear" on that page?

Aug 21, 2012 9:39 PM in response to Anthony Tomasino

I dont mind that my call history didnt sync thats fine. Just now after my sync, no call history will store whats so ever. New calls made (one 1 minute ago) doesnt store.

EDIT; when i look in recent - all or missed calls, no clear call history / edit is avail to clear anything. So my call history remains currently blank and won't store calls incoming/out going at all.

It just means I dont know whos called me and when/the duration of the call etc.

Aug 21, 2012 9:51 PM in response to mandikins88

Seems to be an issue with call_history.db, a file you can delete from the phone's filesystem if you're able to access it, which you're not because you aren't jailbroken (which is a good thing).

It's possible that a backup would NOT produce the same bug if call history is not stored. It's worth a shot. If you'd prefer to try other things, something that would help me is a screenshot of your phone's recent call page. Go to the page, tap the home and lock button at the same time, and a screenshot will be in your phone's photos. Can you put one on here? I'm still fiddling around.

Aug 21, 2012 9:55 PM in response to Anthony Tomasino

Thats what i assumed; ii did google it and the only thing I found was editing stuff when the phone is jail broken and I dont want to do that.

I sync'd my current phone twice (one sync to my current phone, one sync to a new phone that im returning as I dont need it (Telstra sold me additional phone without needing it.) During both syncs using the same back up and 2 different phones, the error of no call history happened. So i assume somewhere in my original back up there was a bug.

This is a photo just now - i have made numerous calls but none storing as you can see

User uploaded file

Aug 21, 2012 9:57 PM in response to mandikins88

It's a permissions error on the file. The file is read-only except to the iPhone itself, but something may have messed it up. Your best bet is to restore it as a brand new phone, THEN restore a backup of your information to it. Like you said, unless you jailbreak and delete the file itself (I don't even know if I'm allowed to condone jailbreaking on here) it may be your only option.

Aug 21, 2012 10:20 PM in response to mandikins88

I don't think so. Unless I'm mistaken, recent/missed calls are not backed up. Just settings and actual content. When you completely wipe and factory restore the phone, the file system should be repaired and that database should have the proper permissions. I'm fairly confident it would be fine, but if you want to make sure just do this:

1. Wipe the phone. Complete factory reset, get rid of everything.

2. Afterwards, set it up as your phone again but do not sync. Basically, get it to where it has your phone number affiliated and can make calls, but that's it.

3. Call a few random numbers and just hang up right after you call. See if they're in recent calls.

If you do this and it works fine, go ahead and sync all your stuff back. It should still work. If it doesn't, at least we know it IS the backup that's corrupted. But like I said, the root filesystem of the phone should not be in the backup, just content to populate the device.

Aug 23, 2012 5:41 PM in response to Anthony Tomasino

After a restore and WITHOUT a sync my call history did indeed show up (not my prior call history, each time i called a new number after the restore) So i did have a call history after restore with 'new phone.' As such, you were correct that the proper permission after restore is OK.

Currently syncing from backup to see if issue is from backup itself. thank you 🙂

After syncing iphone 4s, no call history stored.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.