Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s dock connector problem

RESPECTED ,

my iPhone 4s (ios 5.1.1) sound dissappears showing iPhone is being connected to dock.User uploaded file.where as i have never connected my phone to dock station..i have restored my iphone(as NEW iPHONE) ,but could not sort out the problem.User uploaded file..please help me...i cleaned dock port with brush ,that to could not fix it.EVEN I CHEKED FOR WATER DAMAGE,BUT THERE WAS NOTHING LIKE THAT.though i am unable to listen caller Ringtones,alerts..but MUSIC SOUNDS AND VIDEOS ARE DISSAPPEARED ...AT LEAST ASSURE ME THAT?THE PROBLEM IS LINKED WITH SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE..

IF ITS SOFTWARE I AM CALM..IF HARDWARE ???REALLY DISSAPPOINTED

HELP ME WHAT WOULD BE THE PROBLEM,AND HOW TO FIX IT..

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 5:08 AM

10 replies

Aug 22, 2012 5:20 AM in response to mukharram

Hey mukharram,

Let's do some basic troubleshooting first. This is troubleshooting for iPhone & iPod accessories (like docking stations):

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2634

And this is general iPhone hardware troubleshooting:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2802

You've already done some of this which is great work on your part. Go through these articles & see what issues you run across or if the troubleshooting there fixes your issue.

Oct 16, 2013 5:56 PM in response to mac.heretic

I have the same problem, with my iPhone 4S, non of the trouble shouting options worked, and I have also followed most of the suggested resolutions found on the net, without any luck.

I can easily reproduce the issue, and resolve the issue, but the resolution is only temporarly.

I plug in the phone using the usb cable into my A/V receiver, and unplug the USB part of the cable. This triggers something in the phone to show the iPhone as the output option, and sound at this point plays back through the phone. Great!, but...

As soos as the phone powers off, the problem comes back.

I can reproduce this everytime, and this shows it is a software issue, and I'm sure someone could fix it easily having access to my phone with the ability to reproduce the issue and debug it.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

I have also just upgraded to verion 7.0.2 and same issue occures.

Dec 29, 2013 11:38 AM in response to mukharram

My daughters' iphone 4s has started doing a similar thing. It constantly thinks that it is docked and therefore the volume up/down buttons don't work. I called Apple support and after some urging they made an exception of charging me the $30 to open a troubleshooting case. Their first suggestion for troubleshooting was to upgrade the IOS to 7 which neither my daughter wanted nor did I think was going to fix the issue as software issues don't show up and go away depending on whether the connector is connected or not.

I ended up upgrading to IOS 7 but still no luck, the issue is still there. I grabbed a small screwdriver and if I put just a little pressure on it sideways the volume buttons work correctly. Once I remove this pressure the buttons stop working again. Put pressure on it again and it works correctly.

This seems to be a design flaw as there are many having this issue and it's not from abuse, it is just from normal use and charging.

Why Apple insists on using proprietary connectors like this is ridiculous. What is wrong with using a standard USB connector.

Jan 2, 2014 12:33 PM in response to mukharram

I have the same issue with my iPhone 4S. I've contacted applecare and they had me reset the phone with no resolution. I'll be back in contact with them likely tonight. I believe it's a hardware problem with the dock connector itself as this has never been an issue previous. I am running latest OS version 7.0.4 and had been previously without a problem then it just started to no longer work one day after I unplugged it from my truck. It defaults to being on a dock connector instead of through the iPhone speakers. I too can get it to work now directly after unplugging from the truck, but it won't stay that way for long...

May 29, 2014 5:43 PM in response to themakeupbelle

I have the same issue. I've noticed the issue lies within the iPhone 4s dock (which is seemingly obvious, but let me explain). When I use a safety pin/paper clip to wiggle the little bar (or whatever it's technically called) on the inside of the charger dock it temporarily fixes the issue... And that's another part of the problem, it's only temporary. I looked at it closely with a light and I think one of the gold strips (look at your phone's dock and you should be able to figure out what I mean by this) on the inside of it is broken off. Thus, I believe, causing the issue due to some kind of short. You guys may have the same issue...

P.S. Sorry if anyone can't quite grasp what I'm describing. I tried my best to explain, but I'm not too sure what every intricate piece of the iPhone is called.

iPhone 4s dock connector problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.