Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought used jailbroken 3GS, won't activate after restore

Just bought a used 3GS that was jailbroken by the seller. We tested the SIM card in the phone and the AT&T network showed right up no problem. We didn't care to have it jailbroke, so I brought it home and did a restore on the phone. The phone rebooted and behaved like a new phone. Asking language, location, WiFi network, etc. I noticed that during this process the top showed that it was searching for the phone network.... it stayed in that mode. I went to the activation screen and it sits there forever and then comes back with a message saying the activation server is unavailable.

So... I connected this to iTunes to activate.... and iTunes says that the SIM card is not in the phone (it is).....

Anyone have this problem? And better yet... a solution

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 1:42 PM

22 replies

Aug 25, 2012 1:48 PM in response to Doug Stringham

If the phone was jailbroken to unlock it there is no authorized way to get it working again. Usually the phone is hacked to unlock by replacing the baseband with an iPad baseband. But the Restore doesn't replace the baseband, only iOS, so you end up with a phone that has incompatible software versions on it. There may be solutions that cannot be discussed in an Apple hosted forum. Google is a useful tool.

Aug 25, 2012 4:34 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

OK... so this was apparently jailbroke with Absinthe. So... I went to their site and followed their instructions in their YouTube video on how to restore this phone back to original state. I followed the instructions exactly. Which is what I had done previously. However... here's what happens.

It starts with the 'Connect to iTunes' screen. Which I did.... it downloaded and restores 5.1.1 to the iPhone. The iPhone reboots and now comes up with the screen like it's a new phone. Asking for language, location, location services off/on, WiFi network (which it sees and logs into just fine)... and then it gets to the authentication screen and just sits until it gets to a screen that says the server is down. If I try to authenticate it through iTunes it says the iPhone is missing a SIM card (it's in there and been reseated a few dozen times... and was working prior with the jailbreak). The phone shows it's in constant search for the AT&T network and never connects.

So I'm stuck in this position of not being able to authenticate.

:-/

I've not dealt with jailbreaks before, though I'm a fairly technical sort of guy. I've done a good couple hours of research to find an answer and have tried a few different things with the same result.

Bought used jailbroken 3GS, won't activate after restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.