Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inbox showing unread email but there is none

I'm using POP mail accounts on my iPhone 4. The inbox on one of these accounts shows that there is one unread email which I cannot find. I've deleted all emails off my phone and signed in directly to my Verizon email account (webmail.verizon.net) and viewed and deleted every email from the server. My iPhone still indicates that there is one unread email which I cannot find.

The email icon on my phone shows 1 unread email, which is nowhere to be found.

Can anyone help. Please! It's very annoying.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 1:34 PM

Go to settings/mail/the offending mail account/and change your "mail days to sync" to No Limit. Then go into your email box to let it start downloading all emails until it finds the mail item that it thinks is unread. This download process will update your phone so that it realizes that the email it thought was unread is actually read. Then go back and change your mail days to sync back to its original setting. The reason it wouldn't update this on its own is because the mail item is older than the "mail days to sync" so your phone is not updating the status of those mail items.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2012 1:34 PM in response to NYHal

Go to settings/mail/the offending mail account/and change your "mail days to sync" to No Limit. Then go into your email box to let it start downloading all emails until it finds the mail item that it thinks is unread. This download process will update your phone so that it realizes that the email it thought was unread is actually read. Then go back and change your mail days to sync back to its original setting. The reason it wouldn't update this on its own is because the mail item is older than the "mail days to sync" so your phone is not updating the status of those mail items.

Inbox showing unread email but there is none

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.