Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logitech c270 webcam and OS X

I recently bought a Logitech c270 webcam with the understanding that it would work with my iMac. However the webcam does not seem to be recognised by my iMac.

When I connect the webcam it is not switching on, no green light on the webcam or anything to indicate any activity at all.

I read on the Logitech site that all the software needed was already in OS X. Am I missing something?

Any help most appreciated.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 5:20 AM

25 replies

Aug 28, 2012 10:15 AM in response to Neil Leslie

There are only certain Logitech Webcams that work with Macs and OS X.

According to Logitech the webcam you purchased DOES NOT work with Macs or OS X.

Here's the only Logitech Webcam that Logictech states that works with both Macs and PCs.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/webcams/hd-webcam-c615

I have this webcam and can confirm it works pretty well with Macs, but the Logitech software for Mac is more limited than the same software used on a PC.

Some of its stated functions only work on the PC side and not the Mac side.

Aug 28, 2012 3:34 PM in response to MichelPM

Hmmmm, interesting.

Also according to the Logitech website "Your Logitech camera must be UVC (Universal Video Class) compliant in order to be used on your Mac OS 10.4.9 or later computer. These standard UVC drivers are provided by the operating system and will only provide minimal camera support".

The C270 is listed as UVC compliant and I'm on OS X 10.6.8.

I'm tried to use it with Photobooth and also Skype but with zero success.

Aug 28, 2012 3:40 PM in response to Neil Leslie

I installed the additional Logitech software and my c615 works fine.

Did you try and install the additional software and use it?

I bought this webcam as it directly said on the packaging that it would work with both Mac and PC.

None of the other Logitech offerings printed this compatibilty on the box.

Leads me to believe that their other offerings are simply not compatible on Macs.

Mar 1, 2013 12:11 PM in response to Neil Leslie

The Logitech HD Webcam C270 works fine with OS X, but you have to install the software before plug it into the USB port. There isn't a native OS X driver for this webcam.

The software (Logitech Webcam Software.mpkg) is in the CD that come in the product box but is not avaiable to download from the website. So if your Mac doesn't have a CD/DVD drive you'll have to use another Mac computer with a CD/DVD drive to copy it to a thumb drive or send it via network or internet to your Mac.

Jun 29, 2013 7:24 AM in response to Neil Leslie

I bought the Logitech c270 this week and they did not include the CD in the box - the in-box manual refers to a CD, but the side of the box says 'requires software download from Logitech.com.' However, the version of Logitech Webcam Software they have on the site is not compatible with OSX 10.7 and above. So, buyer beware until Logitech sorts it out.

Logitech c270 webcam and OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.