Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the headphone jack on the New iPad a proprietary design?

I am trying to connect my new iPad to the AUX input of my car audio system. the cable that I used for my iPod does not seem to fit the iPad? I can only getbthe male plug in far enough for one channel to play. Is there a special plug? Or an adapter available?

Thanks

Addison

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 1:15 PM

8 replies

Sep 3, 2012 1:44 PM in response to Threepenny Opera

Guys

The plug is in as far as it can go without doing some mods to the base of the male plug. The plastic at the base of the plug is touching the metal of the iPad on the front side, but there is still about 1mm of metal from the plug showing up on the back side where the iPad case curves? There is no physical way to insert the plug further without something giving way??

I'm about to start a 5000 mile road trip tomorrow so I need to figure this out or I will only have music and GPS out of one side of the car!

Addison

Sep 3, 2012 3:19 PM in response to wegras

Thanks for the assurance that the headphone socket is a standard size I think I need to make a trp to the Apple Store to get to the bottom of this. I would hate to break something after owning it for only 4 days. If the cable hadn't worked for my iPod I would have suspected the cable which is a standard 3.5mm stero plug on both ends.

Thanks again

Addison

Sep 8, 2012 6:40 AM in response to Threepenny Opera

My sanity is restored. I pushed and pushed as suggested but no joy. Anyway the mystery is on the way to being solved. A trip to the local Apple Store has revealed that my headphone jack was defective. Since my iPad is a Verizon Lte and I am in Canada, the local store did not have a replacement in stock, but they are ordering anew one and will look after swapping everything for me.

I am very impressed with the Apple customer service to this point! Thanks to all for your assistance

Addison

Is the headphone jack on the New iPad a proprietary design?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.