Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does My iPad have a split keyboard

The keyboard on my iPod suddenly split in two and shrunk in size and each half withdrew to one side of the screen. How can I get my keyboard back to normal?

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 10:09 PM

14 replies

Jul 7, 2017 10:13 AM in response to nevets2

Hi nevets2,

I see that you accidentally enabled the split keyboard feature on your iPad and you’re looking to get the keyboard back to normal. I’d be happy to help you accomplish this!

To merge a split keyboard, please follow these instructions:

Merge a split keyboard

User uploaded file

1. Tap a text field.
  2. Touch and hold User uploaded file in the lower-right corner of the keyboard.
  3. Slide up and tap Merge.

To turn Split Keyboard on or off, go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Split Keyboard.

How to split and move the keyboard on your iPad - Apple Support

Take care!

Feb 12, 2013 5:10 PM in response to nevets2

http://www.redmondpie.com/the-ipads-split-keyboard-in-ios-5-has-6-invisible-keys -which-you-dont-know-about/

The split keyboard, for use when the iPad is in the portrait mode, makes it easier to type on the device with just two thumbs by splitting the keyboard

iPad actually has six phantom buttons allowing users to tap the opposite side of the screen to where the T,G,V and Y,G,B buttons are and still have them registered by the keyboard. Tap just next to the letter ‘Y’ and you’ll be given a letter ‘T.’

It might not seem like much, but it can really help speed things along if you tend to type this way on a hardware keyboard.

Why does My iPad have a split keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.