Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone will not charge. neither on pc connection or adapter

my iphone will not charge up. i tried attaching it to PC as i thought that it mught of been my plug but that isn't working either.???? Help please

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:31 AM

When you connect to the outlet or PC do you see any symbols/messages about charging?

If not, check the dock connector, both iPhone and cable to see they are clean and not clogged with lint or debris. Have you tried a soft reset by holding both the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears (ignore the red slider) and the iPhone restarts?

If none of the helps it would be worth a visit to an Apple store genius bar to have the techs take a look and run some tests.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2012 5:31 AM in response to Stu1979

When you connect to the outlet or PC do you see any symbols/messages about charging?

If not, check the dock connector, both iPhone and cable to see they are clean and not clogged with lint or debris. Have you tried a soft reset by holding both the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears (ignore the red slider) and the iPhone restarts?

If none of the helps it would be worth a visit to an Apple store genius bar to have the techs take a look and run some tests.

Sep 7, 2012 5:40 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

i have just tried the soft reset and its reset but still no charge. Both charger connection and phone charge point are clear of any debris although there is a blueish covering on both, During the night my phone was beeping whilst on charge but i couldn't read the message as was half asleep. it did charge to 100% but it is on the decrease now and i cant see a way to sort this. Thanks for info.

Sep 7, 2012 5:53 AM in response to Stu1979

If it charged to 100% then the system is working, or may be working slower than it should. When you say on the decrease now what do you mean? Is the charge level dropping fast? Or is it a slow decrease while still plugged in?

If the latter, that is normal, the charging circuit shuts down when the battery is charged so as to not overcharge. Then when the charge level drops to 93-95%, or so, should kick in again and top up the battery.

Not sure what a bluish coating would be but might be worth looking into with a genius bar tech if you can.

Oct 14, 2012 1:32 AM in response to Stu1979

So I just had a problem with my iPhone 4 charging. When I plugged it in, it would make the charge jingle but the plug would show up in the battery like it was fully charged (I think it may also show up when charging with unsupported charger) instead of the charging spark (or lightning bolt thing) that usually shows up when charging. Lucky for me I had a spare iPhone battery lying around and swapped it out. This was after I tried turning my phone off multiple times and doing a hard reset, which didn't fix the problem. Anyway, the new battery fixed the problem, and now it charges just fine. Im not sure what was wrong with my old battery, it is a few years old, but it seemed to hold a charge just fine before it just stopped charging. If anyone else has this problem I would recommend trying a hard reset first and then if that doesn't work try swapping the battery before you go messing with the dock connector since it is a lot easier.

my iphone will not charge. neither on pc connection or adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.