Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does DS_Store prevent copying?

After installing ML this last week I can nolonger copy to another drive. It keeps saying DS_Store already exists. I have searched for these files and can't find them. What a PITA. What's going on with ML anyway?

Mac Pro Desk 8 core 2.93GHZ 16GB ram, Raid, PB 1.67, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 3 serial SCSI 15k spin drives, MOTU DP, RME IO's

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 5:48 AM

65 replies

Oct 23, 2012 10:07 AM in response to Wilson Kuo

"Windows under virtual machine" to access that external harddrive

From Windows you would have that problem. OS X / UNIX hides any file that starts with a period. Windows doesn't give a hoot about the leading period and just considers it part of the file name, so you will see them in Windows.

Bit of a guess, but when you try to copy them from Windows, the permissions of the .DS_Store files are likely preventing you from overwriting, or copying them to the external.

Sep 8, 2012 6:21 AM in response to Gary Brandt

.DS_Store files are invisible files used to manage folder-specific settings. If you try to copy a .DS_Store file into a folder that already contains one, you will be asked whether or not to replace the existing file. How are you doing the copying, and what is the specific message you are seeing? Are you being prevented from replacing the existing file, or just asked if you want to?

Sep 8, 2012 6:51 AM in response to Gary Brandt

If they are hidden, they shouldn't be copying. Are you displaying hidden files on those folders? A .DS_Store inside a folder will be copied with the folder, but if you are just copying a folder, then it won't be replacing anything and shouldn't cause a problem.

Are you merging the folders, as opposed to just copying?

How is the external drive formatted?

Sep 8, 2012 12:02 PM in response to Gary Brandt

What specific error message do you get when it fails? The absence or presence of a .DS_Store file should make no difference... you should be able to overwrite them as you desire. The error message is important for determining what's going on.

One possibility would be a permissions issue. On the external drive, do you have it set to ignore ownership? Select the drive and choose File -> Get Info.

User uploaded file

Try checking that box if it isn't already checked.

Also, how are you doing the copy? Be specific. Are you copying a single folder, groups of folders, contents of a folder, etc? Are you copying in the Finder or using some other app?

Oct 22, 2012 8:34 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Hi, Kurt,

Thank you for your reply.

I attached two external harddrives by USB to my computer (running on OS X 10.8.2), and I want to copy many files in a folder from a drive to another, but failed for it keeps saying DS_Store already exists.

It doesn't work no matter the target drive is formatted as exFAT or FAT32 or Mac OS format. (the source files are located in an external harddrive formatted as exFAT)

Is there any way that I can copy huge volume of files from one external harddrive to another external harddrive? thanks.

Wilson

Oct 22, 2012 8:52 AM in response to Wilson Kuo

It should work without ever mentioning the .DS_Store file. Since it's normally hidden, you can't select it. Therefore, it can't be part of the files you're copying to the other drive. Is the following true?

You can actually see the file .DS_Store in the folder you're copying from. In which case, you should see it on any drive, and in any folder, along with other hidden files and folders which shouldn't be visible.

Why does DS_Store prevent copying?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.