Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't some music tracks start playing - iPad Music app?

I have a lot of music on my iPad, some copied from CDs, some purchase on iTunes etc. I have a classical piece from a CD. The iPad Music app shows the CD cover and the tracks, and lets me select a track and start playing, in the sense that the 'play' icon (forward-pointing triangle) turns into a 'pause' icon (two parallel vertical strokes). The name of the track scrolls, so now the music should be playing, but it isn't. The elapsed time display stays at zero and the track doesn't play. Some other albums play normally, but I can't see a pattern. It's as if some of this music isn't really present on my iPad.

What can I do? I have recently done a reset.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 9:52 AM

3 replies

Sep 10, 2012 10:59 AM in response to Joshua

Hi Joshua - thanks for the quick reply. I don't think I'm using iTunes match, and if I am, I don't see a way of changing the status just using my iPad 2, which is all I have with me at my current location (I live in two countries). When I get back to my Mac and my CD collection, I guess I will be able to reload the tracks, as you suggest. There is, though, a difficulty - I don't know how much of the songs database is affected, and the only way I know of finding out is to try to play each song. As I literally have a few days worth of music on the iPad, this isn't really practical. What I need is an app which will analyse the database to look for anomalies. I wonder if such a thing exists.

Anyway when I get back I will try your solution.

Incidentally I tried using another music app, Skins, but it is pretty much what the name implies, just a skin on top of iTunes, so the same problems occur. I could maybe try an paid-for app, say Groove, but as I'm a classical music guy, I doubt if it would fulfill my needs! (I wish there were an app dedicated to classical music, which knew the names of composers, saw compositions as a series of movements, etc etc. But that's a digression...)

Why won't some music tracks start playing - iPad Music app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.