Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone not working on iphone

Microphone only works when on speaker phone.

iPhone 3GS

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 9:16 AM

5 replies

Sep 27, 2012 1:45 AM in response to greenbar935

Hi,

I had the same issue here. bottom microphone not working on my iPhone4. tested an dtried some different apps and came up with the following:

during voice call: bottom mic not working

during facetime: YES other side can hear me

memorecorder: YES sound is recorded

video: YES sound is recorded

I've searched around the web and the apple support pages, and found some simple options to be taken to resolve the issue:

1 clean out the 2nd (noise cancellation) microphone (which is the little pinhole right beside the earphone jack)

2 restart the device (eliminating virtually all software / app malfunctions)

3 reset network settings in settings menu (eliminating network issues)

4 full factory reset on iPhone4 (make sure to back it up properly before) (why should this be the resolution if the restart didn't do it before?).

5 open up the backside and insert a little piece of cardboard (about 160gr/m2) as per the attached video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jhWxYTVxe4&feature=related

6 go to the apple store / make an appointment with the genius bar

neither 1, 2 nor 3 resolved my issue with the bottom mic during voice calls (I still could hear the other side, they could here nothing, or some static and crackling from my side). as gathered the 4th possiblity would not to make the difference (i got convinced this was more a hardware than software issue), i jumped to option 5.

AND IT WORKS NOW!!! yippieeeee (what would an iPHONE be if you can't call....)

all you need is a steady hand, good eyes and a ph00 or ph000 screwdriver.

Jun 7, 2013 4:05 PM in response to Alfamale72

YIPEE! IT WORKED!!! Go do the cardboard FIX at the link below and follow it exactly. Takes a little time to get the right cardboard thickness and I too had to shave some off. Tried a business card and it was too thin. Too bad I didn't see it here on the support groups and found it on Google.

Open up the backside and insert a little piece of cardboard (about 160gr/m2) as per the attached video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jhWxYTVxe4&feature=related

I did that to my iPhone 4 with cardboard inside and followed the You Tube video.

Worked great. Had done EVERYTHING else and I mean everything. Have had only Apple products since 1985. Used to be a tech for years.

Oh my all the poor people with the same issue and Apple not even acknowledging there is a problem. Steve would roll over in his grave if he knew how customers were now being treated.

63 year old techie Grammy 😮)

Katy

Microphone not working on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.