Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disappointed with maps, will google maps be available in the App Store?

I was really looking forward to the new maps but am very disappointed. Don't get me wrong the 3D maps are great, but so far in the UK I can only find London with this function.

But this isn't my gripe. It's the view in standard mode, none of the road types have different colours so navigation is much more difficult. On google maps the motorways are blue, major A roads green and so on. All the roads are the same colour on apple maps so motorways look the same as a roads etc. Is this likely to change?

If not will google maps be available in the App Store any time soon? Or is there a free/cheap map app that is as good as google maps? I can use google maps in safari but its nowhere near as intuitive :-(

I know the OS is only new, but they've been making a song and dance about this maps and I find it a big disappointing. I don't even like the colour scheme, oceans and rivers etc are shocking blue.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:54 PM

90 replies

Sep 19, 2012 2:29 PM in response to snerkler1

If you go to google.com and view maps on the full site then there is a pop-up that asks if you would like to add the mobile app version to your home screen. This puts the google maps app on your phone. It is web based and at least on my phone is slow to load up but the resolution is what you were used to before the update.

Sep 19, 2012 5:36 PM in response to snerkler1

I had great expectation of Apple Maps and it turned out to be great disappointment. The 3D does not show on my side of London. And most importantly the bus and walk routes (and schedule) are not available on Apple Maps.

Luckily I only updated my iPad but not iPhone. I suggest not to update to iOS6 if anyone thinks that Google Map is important to his/her daily life like me. Unless if Apple has something completely matching, I will not update to iOS 6, or Apple put a Google Map in Appstore for download for meantime.

Having a commercial war with Google is Apple's business but please do not bring any more inconvenience to your customers.

Thanks.

Disappointed with maps, will google maps be available in the App Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.