Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 6 Update on new iPad failed

I tried to install the iOS 6 update today over WiFi on my new iPad (3rd gen., WiFi + 3G), and after rebooting the "Connect to iTunes" screen appeared.

When I connected it to my Mac iTunes said that the device would need to be restored.

But restore always fails. I've tried it on different USB-Ports, tried a different USB cable, tried it on my MacBook but iTunes always brings up the Error-Message -1, and the iPad just reboots and shows the "Connect to iTunes" screen again.

In the log files I found an error message "AMAuthInstallBasebandHandleUpdaterStatus: commandAccepted: NO" and then "AMAuthInstallBasebandHandleUpdaterStatus: outputDict is NULL".

Am I the only one with this problem? What can I do to get my iPad to work again?

Thanks,

Oli

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 3:07 PM

14 replies

Sep 19, 2012 3:31 PM in response to Oliver Matuschin

Nope, you are not alone. I got the same thing with "Connect to iTunes", and then have to restore. Currently

it is trying to download the update AGAIN, so I don't know if it will fail.

Is this maybe a problem of overloaded servers at Apple? I'm glad I decided to try the upgrade from

the iPad first. Until I'm sure it is able to recover and work OK, I'm not touching the iPhone.

Sep 19, 2012 4:55 PM in response to Oliver Matuschin

I have two iPad 2s. One is wifi only and the other one is a Verizon 3g (used as wifi only).

The wifi only iPad2 worked right away.

The Verizon iPad2 had the same problem most people described here - connect/disconnect...

I am on a Netgear N900 router and use 5Ghz for the iPads. I changed the Verizon iPad2 to 2.4Ghz and it came up and worked...

I don't know why it worked for me but thought I'd share incase it helps someone... 🙂

good luck ya'll

Sep 19, 2012 5:02 PM in response to Oliver Matuschin

I had a similar issue and I was able to resolve it by performing the following steps -

1. Go to Wi-Fi setting and select your network. Click on "Forget this Network".

2. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset all Settings.

It prompts you to confirm. Click on Reset all Settings.

Your phone will now restart. Once it's back up, go back to Wi-Fi and connect to your network again. It should work this time without any issues.

Sep 20, 2012 12:59 AM in response to Oliver Matuschin

I called Apple Support this morning, and they told me to have a look at my iTunes log files.

There was an entry saying something about "ramrod 1004". Apple Support told me that this means my iPad is erroneous and needs to be exchanged. So its probably a hardware error which was causing the update to fail. I'll have to wait for my exchange iPad now and hopefully the update will work then.

Sep 24, 2012 7:30 AM in response to Oliver Matuschin

Same problemm here. Wont restore after iOS 6 update failed. I'm trying in a secondary computer with iTunes installed. After I tried 6-7 times in frist one. If this won't work, should be a problemm with this ****. We are ripped off by apple. I tried updating because cellular data connection stopped working. After reseting to the factory state, worked again for few hours and stopped. No mather what I did, didn't worked anymore. Only in wi-fi mode.

iOS 6 Update on new iPad failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.