Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I still get google maps on my ipad?

Heya guys,

I don't want to go into a huge post because this is really simple. I use (used) googlemaps on my iPhone and iPad constantly. I especially love the streetview option. Now of course Apple have launched iOS6 with their own maps and the difference is like a punch in the face. Less detail, less data and no streetview 😟

Is there a way I can get googlemaps on my iOS devices now or are us Apple fans being given no choice here?

I'd be interested to hear anyone elses thoughts.

Cheers,

Lee

Windows XP Pro

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 7:16 PM

Macworld reported thatGoogle is preparing a Googla Maps app that will be available soon. Hopefully its availability will solve your problem.

14 replies

Sep 19, 2012 7:22 PM in response to MerlinUK

Get a life.

Punch in the face?

Obviously you never have been or you wouldn't make such a silly comment.

Google did not bother to have a map app or ipad specific youtube app available despite knowing this was coming for months, so they obviously don't care if you use their services.

If they get around to making an app, you can download it.

Sep 19, 2012 7:36 PM in response to mle teacher

Does have walking times and routes in the upper left-hand corner where the crooked arrow is located. Click the arrow and driving directions, walking directions will appear . Now public transit isn't installed yet, I think the intent is that you would want to go to the local public transportation website wherever you're located. At some point they may tie in your current location with the little bus button so it takes you directly to the app of the public transportation system you're currently in.

Sep 19, 2012 7:49 PM in response to MerlinUK

Lee/MerlinUK, I feel your pain concerning Street view. I use it a lot to my iPhone. I haven't upgraded my iPhone to iOS6 yet but I did upgrade my iPad to check out the maps first as that was my main concern. While the flyover is cool, you do get a bit of a sense of Street view when you adjust the 3-D view to about a 30° elevation. You won't see storefronts like you see in Street view but will see enough detail of buildings to recognize your current location when you zoom in at the proper magnification.

Sep 19, 2012 8:32 PM in response to MerlinUK

Thanks for the helpful replies guys, I'll give the googlemaps in Safari a look when I get chance. I'm sure some keen app maker will give us street view back.

I have also heard the actual data on the maps, ie coffee shops, restaurants etc is lacking as well. Makes me really wish Apple had thought this through rather than trying to do everything in house.

Oh and Johnathan when I said it was like a punch in the face I meant figuratively speaking, I do have a great life but cheers for your concerns 🙂

Sep 19, 2012 10:03 PM in response to MerlinUK

MerlinUK wrote:

I have also heard the actual data on the maps, ie coffee shops, restaurants etc is lacking as well. Makes me really wish Apple had thought this through rather than trying to do everything in house.

I don't think that's quite fair. Apple decidedly did not do it all in-house. They did buy some map companies to help code it together, but they're also doing a fair bit of partnering. The actual data on coffee shops and restaurants turns out to be probably as good as it gets, precisely because of who they partnered with to display the data: Yelp. Heck, when I search for my local coffee shop in Google, I get...links to Yelp.

It is important to remember, when apps disappear, that not everything needs an app. Maps and YouTube function in a browser without a specialized app, much as they do on a standard computer. Although missing the map features already discussed.

There are a lot of sites where I'd rather visit in the browser than download an app, because with Safari, Apple provides a way of erasing stored data about yourself. With apps, there's no telling what apps collect and store about you, and you have no way to get at it.

Sep 27, 2012 11:44 AM in response to MerlinUK

MerlinUK you got good points. But having used my iPhone and maps for the past 12 months, my observations are that Apple focused on "cool stuff" rather than productivity for the user. I live in San Francisco and I use the BART system to commute. With Google maps, one can search "BART" and find stations nearby; with Apple's Maps, I typed BART McArthur (about 5 stations away from Downtown San Francisco) and it gave me a location right in the middle of FRANCE.

I don't think this is acceptable. Forget about 3D images of buildings around. I need maps to help me get around, not look at cute pictures or building structures.

Can I still get google maps on my ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.