Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 6 upgrade problems

My iPhone 4S is not unlocked nor jailbreaked yet when I connected it to my PC the installation failed and my phone has been wiped. I have tried many times since to restore it but keep getting a message to say, 'The iPhone could not be restored, an unknown error occurred.' Very annoying. I haven't yet found a solution to it either so have no phone. I have had two different error messages one is 3014 and the other -1.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 11:47 PM

6 replies

Sep 20, 2012 4:38 AM in response to yeribe

I'm having the exact same problem.

when I connected it to my PC the installation failed and my phone has been wiped. I have tried many times since to restore it but keep getting a message to say, 'The iPhone could not be restored, an unknown error occurred.'

so i keep trying, and it keeps stalling on "preparing iPhone for restore"... then after a while it times out, I get the "The Iphone coule not be restored, an unknown error occured message." only difference is, my error number is 1604. So I restart my phone and try again, and the same thing keeps happening over and over. On my 7th try now. Really frustrating

Sep 20, 2012 4:49 AM in response to JulieInNZ

Update: Maybe it's an issue of updating iTunes and iPhone one right after the other?

I updated my iTunes. It prompted me to restart my computer, but I didn't do it straight away. Then I went to try and update my iphone. And that's when I had the issue above.

It just occured to me that maybe it's cos the iTunes update wasn't completely finished?

So I restarted my computer, restarted iTunes, accepted the licence agreement for the new version of itunes, and THEN tried to update my phone again. and it worked. in like 2 minutes flat.

If you're having this trouble, have you just updated iTunes too? Have you restarted your machine since? Try restarting your computer and then see if that helps.

wish I didn't have to lose all the data off my phone to figure this out.....

Sep 20, 2012 8:57 AM in response to JulieInNZ

Thanks JulieInNZ,

Unfortunately that wasn't the problem with me. I had updated iTunes the day before and my pc had been off before I downloaded and tried to install ios6. Still no joy with it either. Been without a phone now for a day and have also spent 35 minutes on the phone to Apple support without any success. Not sure where to turn next.

ios 6 upgrade problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.