Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I archive IMAP messages with non Gmail/iCloud account on iOS Mail.app?

This may seem like a simple question, however I don't seem to be able to work this one out for myself. I hope you guys/girls can help!

I have my IMAP email account setup on my iPhone (own domain name, DBmail IMAP mail server running on VPS). Email works great; I can send/receive, delete, move messages no problem.

When I used MobileMe, Gmail or iCloud, I was given the option to "Archive mail" in the account configuration for that mail account in Settings.app. However, with a simple IMAP account, even though I have an "Archive" folder in my IMAP mailbox, which shows up with a suitable 'Archive-like' icon in Mail.app on my iPhone, I am not given the option to "Archive mail" - i.e. move a message from 'Inbox' to 'Archive' by touching the Archive button - Instead, I just get the delete button, which just moves messages to my 'Trash' folder in my mailbox.

Up to now, I've just put this down to Mail.app on iOS lacking this functionality. After upgrading to iOS 6 this morning (which I hoped would bring this functionality) I'm starting to question whether there's a setting or a workaround that I've missed that provides this functionality. I'm not sure I understand why Mail.app on my MAC allows me to Archive mail for my simple IMAP account, but my iOS devices won't.

Does anyone know of a way to get a simple IMAP account setup in Mail.app on iOS to 'Archive' mail, as opposed to delete? Please chime in if you have any suggestions.

Joe

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 5:10 AM

4 replies

Feb 21, 2014 12:55 PM in response to MasterRoot24

I know this is old but it's google #1 for the relevant search and it took me a while

Settings -> mail, contacts, calendars -> pick the imap account -> advanced

Move discarded emails to:

Pick the 'archive' option

I have no idea why, must be apple logic, but with delete being the default that's all you can do, when archive is the selection it replaces the deleted button but you can hold it down to get a delete/trash option also.

How do I archive IMAP messages with non Gmail/iCloud account on iOS Mail.app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.