Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there no iOS 6 for my iPad?

Everyone is talking about the new bells and whistles in iOS 6. Why is my iPad 1 not receiving it? Come on now...what gives?

iPad, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 10:15 AM

The original iPad is not eligible for the upgrade to iOS 6 by design. You cannot get it, sorry.

8 replies

Sep 20, 2012 10:34 AM in response to Demo

This makes me sad, and possibly mad.

Does this mean that over time I will be less secure? Will apps designed for iPad not work here eventually because they are for ios6? I hope the design you are talking about doesn't make me regret getting this initial iPad, on,y three years ago. $700 for something that won't be supported after three years is not good business....I will have to wait and see, I suppose.

Sep 20, 2012 10:46 AM in response to Rich Browner

Does this mean that over time I will be less secure?

No less secure than you are now, unless someone discovers exploits for iOS 5.x and Apple doesn't release any further security updates. The likelihood of serious exploits is pretty low.

Will apps designed for iPad not work here eventually because they are for ios6?

Eventually yes, that will happen. How quickly will be up to the developers.

Regards.

Sep 20, 2012 11:21 AM in response to Rich Browner

It was just 2.5 years. And I don't see why my iPad is not eligible, while a 10-month older iPhone 3GS still gets an upgrade? Come on, Apple -- do you just want us to pay for the new iPad? To find ourselves without updates in another 2.5 years? Not again, thank you! 🙂

For the reference:

release date CPU

iPhone 3GS 19 Jun 2009 Cortex-A8 600 MHz

iPad 1 3 Apr 2010 Cortex-A8 1000 MHz

So can anyone explain why the 1st generation iPad which has a superior hardware specs doesn't get an upgrade? As an iPad owner, I'm really upset about that.

Sep 20, 2012 11:44 AM in response to cheers123

Possible (and quite rational) explanations have been provided in these forums already, but there's no point in going over it yet again. Suffice it to say that iOS 6 is not available for the first-generation iPad. If you wish to express your ire to Apple, you can do so via their feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

but don't expect that to change anything. It's common with this class of device for OS updates to stop after about two years, and with Android and Windows 8 support is being dropped even sooner.

Oct 14, 2012 5:24 AM in response to KyleM360

And Apple wonders why we look for a more open system.

My wife wants a new Ipad so I guess I'll buy one for her but I'm done with my Ipad 1.

Because of this failure to support the Original product at such an early stage I don't trust Apple and will upgrade to the new Microsoft Product when it becomes available.

My Iphone will become an Android product for the same reason as I disengage from this Company and its products.

Why is there no iOS 6 for my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.