Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not delivering messages ios 6

After upgrading 1 of my iphone 4 handsets to ios 6, imessage has stopped delivering messages to other ios 6 handsets

When switching off iMessage and sending via SMS every message is delivered x10 tests to ios6 iphone 4

Re-initiating iMessage, then iMessages sent from to iphone 4 on ios6 to another iphone 4 on ios 6 are not delivered ( some times it even says delivered when it hasn't been)

Sending iMessage from iphone 4 on ios 6 to iphone 4 on ios 5.1 no problem delivered every time.

Sending iMessage from iphone 4 on ios 5.1 to iphone 4 on ios 6 no problem delivered every time.

problem seems to be with iMessages from ios 6 to ios 6

iMessage turned off and reactivated 4 times

phone has been restarted 2 times

cant think of any other testing to do.

This needs to be sorted quickly as i don't know what I am missing until someone calls and said did you get my messages... em no !

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 11:05 AM

46 replies

Sep 20, 2012 5:46 PM in response to Garry_W

I've been having some serious iMessage issues today having updated to iOS 6 last night. My fiance and I have always had iMessage issues but now its even worse. I've been messaging her all day to her PHONE NUMBER (still blue iMessages) and she didn't get a single one. My end never said there was a problem. She's also been messaging me to my PHONE NUMBER and nothing came through to me. Now she's getting all her messages on her iPad even though both are set to receive at both phone and email, and caller ID is set to phone number. It seems to me that no one should EVER have to "message my email address" and when someone normally messages my phone number (like the rest of the world on other phones do) it should show up on my wifi-only iPad AND my iPhone. Is it that hard Apple? You seem to not be able to figure out the most simple things...

Sep 21, 2012 4:38 AM in response to Garry_W

I had the same problem. My friend didn't receive any messages from me yesterday (we both have 4S and iOS6). She send me a message today and I received it, but it was in a new conversation (sent from her email, not phone number, though she just continued our previous phone-2-phone conversation).

Now I have 2 chats with her and have no idea, why and how this happened.

Sep 21, 2012 5:18 AM in response to Garry_W

I've inspected a few iPhones with the same problem and found, how it can be fixed. It seems, that after updating to iOS6 the iMessage settings were randomly reseted. In some cases the phone number wasn't ticked in "send & receive" option, then you should turn off the iMessage service and turn it on again. If it doesn't help, and the phone option stays unticked, than you should try to add and remove your email from this option.

I hope this will help.

Sep 21, 2012 5:24 AM in response to Garry_W

I have been very frustrated all day! I have an iPhone 4 and upgraded to iOS6 like a fool! I cannot send any SMS messages to non iPhone users. It just says Not Delivered. I have tried it 10 times. I switched WiFi on and off, network data on and off and even restarted my phone AND powercycled the phone... the messages just will not go through!

I had no problems before the update to iOS6. If anyone figures something out please post it here!

Sep 21, 2012 6:36 AM in response to Garry_W

I'm not sure if this is the cause, but I've noticed that if I go to contacts on my phone (not imessage) select a contact scroll down and select 'send message' I can then make a further selction, i.e iphone number, email etc.

When doing this messages are delivered.

When I use the imessage app, and + a contact for the message I want to compose, I get no option to select iphone, email etc. It just puts the contact name in the address field (and when this is normally an imessage (blue) it's actually green (not recognised as imessage registered). When I send a message it says delivered but the recipient never gets it.

I think what's actually happening here (I'm most likely wrong) when you use the imessage app is that it's not selecting the correct addresses, it might be (no way of proving this) be trying to send the message to a facebook email address?

I'm hoping this a a quick fix bug in iMessenger.

Sep 21, 2012 7:40 PM in response to Garry_W

The problem is facebook integration. Same issue, tried sending message/email, etc to GF. She didn't get them. It was trying to send it to her facebook mail that is now default. As mentioned before, you can't select which number/email to send to. A few solutions: Facebook defaulted everyones visible email to their facebook mail ddress on their timeline back in June. You can change which email is visible on your timeline, and that will then filter down to your contacts in ios6 for your friends on facebook. If they change their email back to their regular email on facebook, when you email them it will now go to their regular email (for all those who can't find those fantom messages-look in your facebook email). Other solution is to go to settings-->facebook-->allow these apps to use your account-->turn contacts to off. Then when you go to send a message/email, it will be the old standard of asking which phone/email to send to(contacts that have more than 1)

for more info on the facebook email default isssue, see link--http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/20/facebook-email-contact-sync/ Message was edited by: rhayes10

iMessage not delivering messages ios 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.