Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just done the ISO6 update on my iPhone 3GS, it now wants to connect to iTunes and take my phone back to factory settings, I haven't backed my phone up in months so going to loose everything, has anyone else's asked to do this as well please?

Just done the ISO6 update on my iPhone 3GS, it now wants to connect to iTunes and take my phone back to factory settings, I haven't backed my phone up in months so going to loose everything, has anyone else's asked to do this as well please?

iPhone 3GS (8GB), iOS 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 12:42 PM

6 replies

Nov 29, 2012 12:02 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Just completed IS06 update on iPhone 3GS and lost all contacts, photos and notes. I backed up my phone using iTunes prior to starting the update, and verified it existed. I copied the library and backups to my D: drive just in case. After noticing the lost contacts and photos, went looking for my backups that were made the night before the update. No prior backups anywhere, the only backup that is available was made by iTunes after the update process was complete (note: did incur an (-50) error that prompted me to restore the phone, which I did, and that is when iTunes created the backup).

I learned my lesson(s) alright! 1st: Be sure to perform a complete backup of your entire system prior to updating your phone (seems ridiculous to have to back up my entire computer just to upgrade my phone, but....). 2nd: At the very least, move your library and phone backup file(s) to a removeable drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.