Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4: no text tone with iOS 6

Since updating to iOS 6, my iphone 4 text tone doesn't go off whether the phone is locked or unlocked.

What do I do? Thanks

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 2:56 PM

122 replies

Sep 25, 2012 4:25 AM in response to Fiobow

Same! Had the issue on my 4S as well as my iphone 5 since updating to iOS 6. Not using Do Not Disturb, do not think this is directly the cause. Haven't had a chance to investigate fully yet, but I believe it is more to do with wether or not the text app is open, or in view. (even if phone is inactive/closed.) ...you know how it just makes a little woop noise if you're in the converstion, and doesn't give the full text alert? I believe it is linked to this. I just shut down the text message app, and remained out of it, and got a tone, I will continue to come out of the app fully and see if that has an effect, but I am very confident, if you close your phone whilst still in the conversation, you will not get a tone.

Sep 25, 2012 5:54 AM in response to Fiobow

yep, that seems to be the issue... having done some more testing with a mate, if you 'close' the phone whilst the text app is still open on the screen, whether in your inbox or a conversation, the tone will not go off. (Won't vibrate in silent mode either.)

Close the text message app, or if in a different conversation and it will sound.

Just gotta remember to come out of the app before closing until they fix it, a little annoying to say the least.

My friend however, does not seem to be having this issue. We're both on iOS 6 on iPhone 5.

Sep 26, 2012 8:02 AM in response to Fiobow

My friend and I have pinned it down between us.....

Select settings:notifications:messages:view in lock screen:off (using iOS 6) and when in a conversation with the person texting you, or in your text messaging inbox when you 'lock' your iPhone (leaving the text app open) and you will not get an alert!

Exit the text app, or enter a conversation with someone else and lock your phone, and you will receive an alert when you receive a text. (From someone else.)

This affects both my iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPad 3

I can't think this is as apple intended!?!

iPhone 4: no text tone with iOS 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.