Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 keeps resetting after installing iOS6

I went to update my iPhone to iOS6 and when the software finished loading my phone froze. When I reset it and turned it back on it keeps restarting over and over and over. My sister and I spent almost an hour on the phone with Apple tech support only to hear them say "Restore to factory settings" Now I've gone and tried to do a hard reset on the phone with iTunes and it's not letting me because I need to update my iTunes software........Isn't a software update what screwed me in the first place!!!!!!

And now it's not even letting me update my iTunes software

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 11:48 PM

Did you try to connect in recovery mode and restore?

iOS: Unable to update or restore

Also check your security software settings, copied from

iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting

Hang during restore process

Following Troubleshooting security software will frequently resolve this issue. This issue can be caused by the default packet size being set incorrectly. There may be third-party software installed that modifies the default packet size in Windows by inserting a TcpWindowSize or MaxGlobalTcpWindowSize entry into the Registry. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet-size modification for assistance in adjusting this TcpWindowSize values. Typically the default packet size is modified by 3G cellular network card software, ISP communication software, or Internet speed download optimization software. There are legitimate reasons to change the TCP/IP packet size and not use the Windows default settings (for example, network traffic optimization, home/broadband optimization, enterprise app optimization such as database apps, Exchange, and more). Deleting the "TcpWindowSize" or "GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize" entries in Windows Registry could affect the system's performance with other apps or on their network connections. Deleting the customized TCP/IP settings may require the reinstallation of any third-party applications that had modified the TCP/IP settings from the Windows default settings.

There are two ways to resolve this:

You can follow this article by Microsoft: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) , or follow the steps below to manually find and remove TcpWindowSize and MaxGlobalTcpWindowSize entries from the Registry.

1. For Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7: Go to the C:\Windows folder and launch regedit.
  2. Go to Edit > Find.
  3. Search for "TcpWindowSize" entries. There are typically multiple entries of TcpWindowSize/GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize spread throughout the entire Registry. If "TcpWindowSize" exists, one or more third-party applications have changed the user's default Windows settings for TCP/IP.
  4. Go to File and select Export. This step will export a copy of the Registry that can be used as a backup of the original settings.
  5. Delete the "TcpWindowSize" entry.
  6. Search for the next "TcpWindowSize" entry and delete each one until the Registry no longer has any "TcpWindowSize" entries.
  7. Close Regedit, restart the PC, and test.

If your problem is iTunes on your computer, follow this article to remove and reinstall:

How to restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows

Message was edited by: Ingo2711

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2012 11:48 PM in response to trevw11

Did you try to connect in recovery mode and restore?

iOS: Unable to update or restore

Also check your security software settings, copied from

Hang during restore process

Following Troubleshooting security software will frequently resolve this issue. This issue can be caused by the default packet size being set incorrectly. There may be third-party software installed that modifies the default packet size in Windows by inserting a TcpWindowSize or MaxGlobalTcpWindowSize entry into the Registry. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet-size modification for assistance in adjusting this TcpWindowSize values. Typically the default packet size is modified by 3G cellular network card software, ISP communication software, or Internet speed download optimization software. There are legitimate reasons to change the TCP/IP packet size and not use the Windows default settings (for example, network traffic optimization, home/broadband optimization, enterprise app optimization such as database apps, Exchange, and more). Deleting the "TcpWindowSize" or "GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize" entries in Windows Registry could affect the system's performance with other apps or on their network connections. Deleting the customized TCP/IP settings may require the reinstallation of any third-party applications that had modified the TCP/IP settings from the Windows default settings.

There are two ways to resolve this:

You can follow this article by Microsoft: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) , or follow the steps below to manually find and remove TcpWindowSize and MaxGlobalTcpWindowSize entries from the Registry.

1. For Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7: Go to the C:\Windows folder and launch regedit.
  2. Go to Edit > Find.
  3. Search for "TcpWindowSize" entries. There are typically multiple entries of TcpWindowSize/GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize spread throughout the entire Registry. If "TcpWindowSize" exists, one or more third-party applications have changed the user's default Windows settings for TCP/IP.
  4. Go to File and select Export. This step will export a copy of the Registry that can be used as a backup of the original settings.
  5. Delete the "TcpWindowSize" entry.
  6. Search for the next "TcpWindowSize" entry and delete each one until the Registry no longer has any "TcpWindowSize" entries.
  7. Close Regedit, restart the PC, and test.

If your problem is iTunes on your computer, follow this article to remove and reinstall:

How to restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows

Message was edited by: Ingo2711

Sep 21, 2012 12:08 AM in response to trevw11

This device is not eligible for the requested build (Also sometimes displayed as an "error 3194")

1. Update to the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Third-party security software or router security settings can also cause this issue. To resolve this, followTroubleshooting security software issues.
  3. Downgrading to a previous version of iOS is not supported. If you have installed software to performunauthorized modifications to your iOS device, that software may have redirected connections to the update server (gs.apple.com) within the Hosts file. Uninstall the unauthorized modification software from the computer.
  4. Edit out the "gs.apple.com" redirect from your hosts file, and then restart the computer for the host file changes to take affect. For steps to edit the Hosts file and allow iTunes to communicate with the update server, see iTunes: Troubleshooting iTunes Store on your computer, iPhone, iPad, or iPod—follow steps under the heading Blocked by configuration (Mac OS X / Windows) > Rebuild network information > The hosts file may also be blocking the iTunes Store. If you do not uninstall the unauthorized modification software prior to editing the hosts file, that software may automatically modify the hosts file again on restart.
  5. Avoid using an older or modified .ipsw file. Try moving the current .ipsw file (see Advanced Steps > Rename, move, or delete the iOS software file (.ipsw) below for file locations), or try restoring in a new user to ensure that iTunes downloads a new .ipsw.

copied from

Sep 21, 2012 1:21 PM in response to trevw11

I think I may be having a similar issue!

I seem to have tried everything! When I went to sync and update my phone, it went into recovery mode (which this has happened once before)! I do NOT want to restore it and lose everything that I have recently put on there (honeymoon pics, vids, work stuff, calendar appts etc)! Lots of important stuff! I remember my iphone acting funny and it kept saying the storage was full, which I knew that and would delete things I didn't need to make room. It also would say it wasn't backed up - and I guess I shouldn't have ignored that! Please help! I need something to get it off of the screen (itunes and usb cable) and back to normal, so i can sync it and back it up, then restore. btw - I just remembered my computer saying it was backing up my iphone while it was syncing. maybe it's in there.. although I know unless I upload my pics to my pic software, it won't save those pics. right? please help! I can check email but obviously not on phone. amandaearhart@att.net

iPhone 4 keeps resetting after installing iOS6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.