Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode. you must restore this iphone before it can be used with itunes. I received an error message while getting the new update and now my phone just shows the a picture of the usb chord and an arrow pointing to

Itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode. you must restore this iphone before it can be used with itunes.

I received an error message while getting the new update and now my phone just shows the a picture of the usb chord and an arrow pointing to itunes. What should I do? I don't want to lose all my media and notes & photos....

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 10:40 AM

The only thing you can do is connect to your computer and open iTunes.

Do you have any backup? Backed up to iCloud or iTunes? If so and after restore you can either backup from iCloud or iTunes. Also the media you purchased from iTunes can be downloaded again.

If no backup, then your out of luck.

3 replies

Oct 7, 2012 10:16 AM in response to laurenjaser

OK, so I have now plugged the phone into the laptop, and opened I-Tunes. I tunes on my lap top says it has "detected a phone in restore mode" and the only option is to go back to original factory settings.

Nothing I press on the I-phone (a 4G) will move the icon, and I don't want to go back to original factory settins (do I?). Seems as if that will remove all the apps.

Itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode. you must restore this iphone before it can be used with itunes. I received an error message while getting the new update and now my phone just shows the a picture of the usb chord and an arrow pointing to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.