Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 proximity sensor doesn't work. There is no screen cover or case on the phone. Any suggestions?

Is anybody else having this problem? It's a white iPhone.

Mac Pro, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 3:24 PM

16 replies

Jun 18, 2017 10:23 AM in response to Mhtjain0

Hi There, i have the white iPhone 5s and never had this issue while on ios8.x and lower, ever since i updated to 9 (currently on ios 10.3.2) the sensor does not work. the Auto Brightness button is also missing in display settings. this is a clear indication that its not hardware but the software. ive been looking everywhere for an answer. Apple support gave me a few options. restore the phone, update the phone, replace the sensor. all 3 done and dusted but still no working proximity sensor.

Apple. please help. (Once again with a bit more effort)

Jun 18, 2017 10:38 AM in response to default333

default333 wrote:

Apple support gave me a few options. restore the phone, update the phone, replace the sensor. all 3 done and dusted but still no working proximity sensor.

Who replaced the proximity sensor? Apple would replace the entire device, not the sensor. Since it was tampered with by an unauthorized party, your phone is now unsupportable. Sorry. Time to buy a new one.

Aug 15, 2017 9:05 PM in response to default333

mine too ..hasnt been repaired yet. updated and it started to happen. but i think it has something to do with the bluetooth on mine. i turned it off and did this trick i read about and now it isn't acting weird ... time will tell. this was the trick : "Hold down the home button to activate Siri and then cover the top of the phone (earpiece) with your hand. Does the screen turn off? I would recommend restoring the phone if it does not."

I just did that and it hasn't been jumping around and calling everyone in my contacts!

good luck!

Sep 23, 2012 7:49 AM in response to jefffromaltoona

I had the same problem (iPhone 5), but the fix was simple.

Turn off your Bluetooth. Yeah, I know this sounds crazy. Here's why.

When you use Siri with the "Raise to Speak" feature activated (Settings/General/Siri), this enables the proximity sensor that lets the iPhone know it is near your ear, activates Siri, and turns off the display.

However, if you are using a bluetooth headset (like I do), then this sensor is turned off automatically, because you will be speaking thru your bluetooth and not the iPhone to activate Siri and make calls.

To prove this, do the following test.

Make sure "Siri" is on, and "Raise to Speak" is on (Settings/General/Siri).

Turn off your Bluetooth (Settings/Bluetooth).

(TEST) Hold your phone in front of you, and with a natural motion, bring the phone to your ear (as if you are answering a call). Siri will automatically activate, assuming you want to ask it/her a question (very cool feature). And the screen will turn offautomatically.

If you have never used the "Raise to Speak" feature, this feature automatically activates Siri when you raise the phone to your ear (really a cool and helpful feature). It may take a little practice to get used to this. I struggled at first, but soon got the hang of using a natural motion to bring the phone to my ear. Starting with the phone in front of you, the phone should be "almost" parallel to the ground when it gets to your ear. It may take several practice tries to get it, but you will get it, and you will be hooked on this neat little feature.

Ok, with this done, this proves your proximity sensor is funtioning properly.

Now, turn on your Bluetooth (Settings/Bluetooth).

And repeat the same (TEST) above.

This time, Siri should not activate, and the screen should not go off. Why? This is because your voice communications with callers (and Siri), are now going thru your Bluetooth, and not the phone handset. Because of this, their is no need for the proximity sensor, so it is automatically turned off (when Bluetooth is on).

I can only speak for me and my situation, and what worked for me. However, their may be other issues regarding the proximity sensor separate of this that I am not aware of.

By the way, I am using the "Otter Box" with the built in screen protector, and it all works fine.

I hope this helps you.

Man I love the "Raise to Speak" feature, you will too.

God Bless You All.

Oct 1, 2012 3:52 PM in response to jefffromaltoona

I'm having problems with my iPhone 5's proximity sensor too. Having never owned an iPhone before, when the screen didn't turn off during a phone call, I didn't think anything of it at first. But after accidentally pressing 'mute' or 'speaker' with my face several times, I decided to look up the feature and have now realised there must be a problem.

I've tried the Bluetooth/Siri trick (the raise for Siri feature doesn't work either), rebooting the phone and altering different settings without success.

I'm going to try doing a restore tomorrow but if that doesn't work, it'll have to be a genius appointment at my local Apple store (if I can get one booked, they seem to be filling up very quickly at the moment).

Oct 19, 2012 1:45 PM in response to jefffromaltoona

I've got a new black iPhone 5 with the same issue. Didn't realize it at first, but after a few times accidentally muting myself or putting a call on hold, and now I'm realizing this phone has never turned the screen off when I put it to my ear. Tried turning Bluetooth on and off as well as Siri, and Siri's raise to talk feature (which does not seem to work for me). Tried resetting settings, resetting network settings, and reseting the phone, all to no avail. Anyone else have a fix, or am I off to the nearest genius bar?

My iPhone 5 proximity sensor doesn't work. There is no screen cover or case on the phone. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.