Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 purchased off Craigslist and can't activate it...

I purchase an iPhone 5 off Craigslist. It was sealed in the box. When I got home, I tried activating it but, it says the other persons number and is asking me to confirm the last four of there social security number and billing zip code. This is the 3rd one I've purchased and only one I've had issues with. The others I purchased were from AT&T and Fry's. They didn't have this same set up. Anyone know how to get around this? I spent 2hrs on the phone today with Apple and they never heard of an iPhone asking for this although they had this same issue on the iPhone 4S. I tried contacting the person I purchased it off of with no success of reaching them. Please help if you know how to solve this issue. I also have Apple working on this issue but, they said it could take up to 4 days.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 5:08 PM

35 replies

Sep 23, 2012 10:31 PM in response to GabeZs

I tried going to AT&T and they said this is something with Apple. I know the phone isn't stolen. The guy I bought it from has the same number as the number appearing on the activation screen. He said he doesn't feel comfortable supplying me with the last 4 of his social and if I activate the iPhone 5 it will deactivate his own phone and would require him to go to AT&T and buy a new one.

Sep 24, 2012 12:14 AM in response to jbish123

Something weird is going on here. Why would someone who ordered a phone tied to their account sell it? It either means they are selling an upgrade tied to their account while planning on using the phone they already have for the remainder of their "new" contract, or they plan on ditching the contract and screwing AT&T. Which means they no longer care about their credit. Another possibility is that the contract is not in their name and they just don't care. Meaning the contract is in their parent's name or something of the sort.

Oct 3, 2012 7:56 AM in response to jbish123

i have same issue. i also bought the phone on sep 23 and still not able to activate. I tried apple and ATT. i am actually not a ATT costomer. I got the phone unlocked and wanted to use it with T MOBILE. Phone is showing unlocked,but i am not able to go any further than the activation statge. It is asking me again and again zip code and socail s no. can you help me you out, how did you activated it.

Oct 5, 2012 4:43 PM in response to mkjiphone5

Hey did you get to solve this? I have the exact same issue... I bought the phone, got it unlocked but I can't get past this activation screen. If you did solve this can you please help.

Also for any other memeber with this problem. If I input a social security number and a zipcode which are linked to an existing AT&T account, but not to THIS At&t account for this phone, will it let me activate? Or does it have to be exactly the account that purchased my phone? Thanks!

iPhone 5 purchased off Craigslist and can't activate it...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.