Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone5 "NO SIM CARD INSTALLED" "NO SERVICE"

What's going on? I cannot use this dang iphone5 80% of the time! Problems continued through this weekend. I'm in various places like a restaurant or my home and I get the same issues. "NO SERVICE" and/or "NO SIM" (with a pop-up message "NO SIM CARD INSTALLED"). Why does this happen? I cannot live like this coz I have no landline. Need access to cellular service 100%. I'm a single mom and my kids may need me on emergency. Got my phone from AT&T store. Do they even know what to do with it? Or should I get help from Apple by telephone? This *****. HELP!!!

iPhone 5, NO SIM! NO SERVICE!

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 9:11 PM

22 replies

Sep 23, 2012 9:21 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Why would I even need to fiddle with the SIM card? I never had to do that with any of my past iPhones. What's really the bigger issue is NO SERVICE message comes up (no AT&T bars) and I don't have any access to cellular transmission - by phone or by text. Went back to AT&T the night I bought it (last Friday's release day). They powered on & off and then it worked. But as soon as I get on the road, same thing happens again. I do the power ON & OFF bit but it happens again. Once in a blue moon, I get a signal. Tonight, at IHOP that "NO SIM" message came on for the first time.

Sep 23, 2012 9:25 PM in response to GalFridayOrganizer

GalFridayOrganizer wrote:

Why would I even need to fiddle with the SIM card?

Because sometimes they become unseated and you can lose reception. In addition, some SIM cards are just plain faulty.

You can sit there and do nothing if you desire, but your phone isn't going to magically get better. You're going to actually have to take some troubleshooting steps if you want a working phone. First thing would be to re-seat the SIM. Next would be to replace the SIM. If that doesn't work, you'll need to bring your phone into Apple for evaluation.

Sep 23, 2012 9:58 PM in response to gdgmacguy

You know, I tried to ignore your first "calm down" remark. Now you say "you can just sit there if you desire". Obviously I am doing something about this by (a) going back to the AT&T store when the issue was first discovered + (b) posting a question in this forum. I simply wanted to express my frustration by using more expressive words -- and I DID NOT SWEAR. Those stars were for the word s-u-c-k-s.

THANK YOU for your suggestions. Though I really wish you would avoid all this personal "attacks". Bottom line, you may be all familiar with SIM cards and other techy stuff with Apple gadgets but I AM A NON-TECHY PERSON WHO WOULD NOT EVEN KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT OPENING THIS iPHONE TO GET TO A SIM CARD.

Peace out.

Sep 23, 2012 10:31 PM in response to FelipeV

Thanks for that lead. Read them all and indeed have the same problem. But more so NO SERVICE for me all weekend (versus the NO SIM message that came up tonight). Going to have them re-activate my old iPhone4 and wait til APPLE & AT&T resolve this problem permanently. I noticed it's mostly those of us with AT&T that have the problem. Perhaps their cell towers are not synching up with the iPhone5 config.....

Thanks again.

Sep 24, 2012 8:50 AM in response to GalFridayOrganizer

I purchased my iPhone 5 last Friday and I started having the same problem start Saturday. I went to best buy(where I purchased the phone) they didn't have any SIM cards for the new iPhone to replace mine. My daughter suggested I take the new cover I had purchased off the phone and see if the problem stopped. Well I've had it off and I haven't had the problem since I did. The cover was really snug on the phone. So maybe it was squeasing the SIM card opening. I don't know if that's what it was but the problem stopped. So if everyone has a cover on their phone take it off and see if the problem stops.

Sep 24, 2012 9:14 AM in response to GalFridayOrganizer

tsvanderpool

Re: iPhone5 "NO SIM CARD INSTALLED" "NO SERVICE"

Sep 24, 2012 8:50 AM (in response to GalFridayOrganizer)

I purchased my iPhone 5 last Friday and I started having the same problem start Saturday. I went to best buy(where I purchased the phone) they didn't have any SIM cards for the new iPhone to replace mine. My daughter suggested I take the new cover I had purchased off the phone and see if the problem stopped. Well I've had it off and I haven't had the problem since I did. The cover was really snug on the phone. So maybe it was squeasing the SIM card opening. I don't know if that's what it was but the problem stopped. So if everyone has a cover on their phone take it off and see if the problem stops.

Like (0) Reply

Sep 25, 2012 5:00 PM in response to GalFridayOrganizer

Hey ....there you're not alone. There's a LOT of us with this same issue. It seems to be on the AT&T and Telus/Bell. I'm from Canada and have this problem on the Bell network. It seems to be a problem with LTE switching back to 3G. You can go into the settings app and turn off LTE and that should fix your no service problem till Apple sends us a fix. I hope there's a fix quickly.

Oct 4, 2012 3:45 PM in response to steve31

I would agree with Steve31 on this as I've noticed that the "NO SERVICE" happens specifically when my phone switches from LTE over to 4G/3G and vice versa. As far as the NO SIM I wouldn't know what to comment on that one as I've yet to have that issue.

I have noticed however that if your currently using your iPhone 5 for internet purposes or talking on the phone it won’t go into a NO SERVICE status until your done using the phone for whatever purpose you are using it for. This is just my personal experience with it and so far have had no major issues with the phone. The time that it takes for the phone to switch from LTE to 4G/3G is all of but 5 seconds and although I'd prefer this not to happen at all I'm not losing sleep over it either.

Oct 9, 2012 12:12 PM in response to GalFridayOrganizer

I have experienced your frustration last year with this issue. Just a couple tips while trying to sort this out. DON'T exchange the phone for a replacement if you think that you will want to return the phone for a refund in the first 30 days. The "No Service" message started for some iPhone users all the way back in iOS 3. It is seen on a number of carriers across the world, but doesn't affect all users. The problem I saw was automatic switching between 2G and 3G signals. Nothing I was asked to do corrected the problem. I had 4 iPhones, 4 SIM cards, account resets, tower evaluations, countless hrs with Apple restoring my phone, etc. etc. I waited for 3 months of BS before I demanded a refund. That was a whole different story of countless, wasted, hours. You can turn Airplane mode on and then back off to get signal back instead of turning the phone off/on. I hope that your problem gets resolved in a timely manner but I wouldn't hold my breath.

iPhone5 "NO SIM CARD INSTALLED" "NO SERVICE"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.