Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple still IEMI Unlock iPhones?

I bought a second hand 3GS on eBay, where I was told it was factory unlocked for me only to find that it isn't - it's locked to Orange UK.

I've done some research, and read that Apple unlock iPhones. I also found that there's dodgy sounding solutions, like going through suspicious third party "companies" that IEMI unlock phones for a fee.

iPhone 3GS

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 12:52 PM

6 replies

Sep 24, 2012 12:57 PM in response to renzu

IMEI locking isn't the same as carrier locking.

Carrier locking can be undone by the carrier only. If the IMEI is locked, it's actually blacklisted which means it has either been reported stolen/lost or the carrier has blacklisted it because the bill has not been paid.

You may be able to contact Orange to unlock it for you, they will need the IMEI so they can send it to Apple to identify it on the Apple server to perform the unlock.

IMEI blacklisting cannot be undone!

DO NOT TAKE IT TO A DODGY SHOP! They unlock by jailbreaking the device and that can cause a whole number of issues.

A quick call to Orange will determine if it's blacklisted, just explain that you bought it off eBay and can they tell you if it is blacklisted or not. If not ask them about unlocking it

Sep 24, 2012 1:02 PM in response to norman_bates

I ran a check to see if the phone was stolen or blacklisted before I bought the phone and everything came back clear. I've already taken the phone to an Orange shop and they told me that the original contract owner will have to get it unlocked. I'm starting to get the impression that I'm stuck with a phone that I can't use..?

Does Apple still IEMI Unlock iPhones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.