Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reclaim iPhone storage space taken up by 'Other'?

When I connect my iPhone to iTunes, the bar at the bottom of the screen that gives information on the storage amounts for the various functions (audio, photos, apps, books, other, free) is showing 2.2 GB for "other". What is stored in other? How can I reduce the size of that area?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 9:15 AM

5 replies

Sep 25, 2012 10:36 AM in response to razmee209

That was helpful. I was able to get an understanding on what "other" consists of; however not being able to see what's inside it is a little frustrating. I heard that an app called Diskaid is helpful in managing files on iphone. I installed it on my MacPro and also installed FileApp on my iPhone but I don't know how to use it. Other people have said that they spotted video files using DiskAid that are not visible on in iTunes or on their iPhone, and were able to delete it, greatly reducing the size of "other". Any info about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sep 25, 2012 10:40 AM in response to rainair

I'm not to familar with Diskaid or fileapp. Yea my other files are 5.5 gb. I still have plenty of room on my phone.

I read you in another thread, is to plug your phone into itunes and then do a reset hold down the home/power button until you see the apple logo and then release, this will recalculate the other files.

I haven't tried that yet.

How do I reclaim iPhone storage space taken up by 'Other'?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.