Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 powerbook G4

I bought an iphone 5 and tried to connect it to my Powerbook G4, then get instructed to download iTunes 10.7, which takes 30 minutes, but doesn't install because 'incompatible architecture' ...

so there is no way to use my iPhone 5 with my current computer?

Really bad Apple!!!!!

Last time for me.

iPhone 5

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 10:23 AM

16 replies

Sep 25, 2012 12:04 PM in response to roaminggnome

I had exactly the same problem and was pointed to the system requirements, which Apple telephone support said were on the box - not as far as I can see. I then looked at the website, which extols the virtues of the iPhone 5 but you have to really search for the technical specifications to find the above information.

Having recently bought an iPad 3 which works perfectly, I was astonished that the new iPhone did not. So if you have a perfectly good Apple computer which is over 6 years old Apple appears not to want to know you. Interestingly my ancient PC running WindowsXP would appear to work fine, so the answer appears to be that my next computer purchase will be a PC not a Mac - so much for 25 years of undying loyalty - and probably an Android phone after I sell the iPhone on eBay if Apple don't sort this out soon.

A partial workaround to transfer Calendars, Contacs, Apps and settings etc, assuming you are upgrading as I have, is to backup your old iPhone to iCloud and then reset the iPhone 5 and restore from the iCloud backup. However, I still cannot work out how to get my music across without paying for an iTunes Match subscription, which I find annoying. If I had a PC, there appear to be a number of solutions to transfer music files but I have yet to find a Mac one that works. Has anybody out there found a solution?

I think my long Apple honeymoon will soon be over if they don't get this sorted. Pity really but if they want to behave like Microsoft why bother to buy Apple in future.

Sep 29, 2012 3:30 PM in response to Jaw911

I can only join in and agree with the above...

I can't justify a new Mac and there's nothing wrong with my iPad 3 syncing with iOS6 and my old G4 PowerBook, so why on earth won't an iPhone 5 sync, it can't be a technical reason? If Steve Jobs was still around I'm sure we'd be treated better, this is so bad and sad of Apple. For the first time I feel ashamed to be a user...

Jan 4, 2013 8:54 AM in response to Laura_d

I think this was a very bad move from Apple. In a similar fashion, a few years ago, I was forced to buy a new xbox360 console, jut becasue fifa08 was not available for old xbox. They were basically pushing people to buy the new console... I didn't buy the new console, and I'm not playing that game since 5 years....

Here we are in a similar stand off... Should I buy a new Computer just so I can hook up with my iphone5, where as Apple can just send a software update to fix this bug!! Heck, I even am ready to purchase snow leaopard for an extra 20 bucks, however it just wasn't made for good old powerpc. 😟 ... Apple... You're losing out on the very founding fan base that what made you a big company in the first place...

Unless you guys release a fix for this iphone to powerbook g4 issue of course...

Jan 4, 2013 9:17 AM in response to baris13

baris13 wrote:

... I even am ready to purchase snow leaopard for an extra 20 bucks, however it just wasn't made for good old powerpc. 😟 ... Apple... You're losing out on the very founding fan base that what made you a big company in the first place...

A PowerBook G4?

Perhaps Apple should build computers that don't last as long as they do. That would be a great way to retain their very founding fan base.

Jan 4, 2013 9:17 AM in response to baris13

IF you are running, or can upgrade to OS X 10.5.8, you can download iTunes 10.6.3. It will run on a Power PC system

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1575

There is no gaurantee that future versions of iOS will not break this.

Your computer is ancient. It may work fine for most things you want to do, but that's the way the tech world works. Time and technology move on. Power PC support was dropped quite some time ago.

Jan 4, 2013 9:24 AM in response to KiltedTim

Well tahnk you for the suggestion.. I already have that and it doesn't work with iphone 5... However it works with the iphone4 with a same 6.0 OS. Both phones with same OS, but two different results.. Something tells me it's not a software issue,it's more like a Benjamin issue 🙂

Having an ancient computer shouldn't make anyone to be treated as a second class consumer, isn't it? Or we should just go drop dead in some dark corner, so nobody notices in their perfect hi-tech world? 🙂

Jan 4, 2013 9:36 AM in response to Laura_d

Don't get me wrong I totally agree with you, you can't use something forever. Nonetheless, they made it more clear that if we buy new iphones it may not work with our old powerbookg4 computers... Then maybe we could have prioritize our purchase options thowards anew computer, and then the phone... this way everyone would be happy 🙂

On the other hand I'm sure they have notified in some littel fine print somewhere, which most of us have overlooked... At least those who have posted the issue and follow up here...

Thanks for your suggestions and insight with this issue... Time to return the iphone.. 😟

iphone 5 powerbook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.